Starting a refugium

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there looking to start a refugium on my reefer 350 and primarily goal is reducing nutrients with a quick setup in sump compartment, but I am interested in harvesting some of the macroalgae to feed to Foxface and Blenny (if they'll eat it that is)..

What is recommendation on cheap and reliable light? (I have Kessil Spectral X controller and 2x 160WE)

What macroalgae should I consider for my goals?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend Chaeto and Home Depot Plastic Clamp Light with 20w LED grow light.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there looking to start a refugium on my reefer 350 and primarily goal is reducing nutrients with a quick setup in sump compartment, but I am interested in harvesting some of the macroalgae to feed to Foxface and Blenny (if they'll eat it that is)..

What is recommendation on cheap and reliable light? (I have Kessil Spectral X controller and 2x 160WE)

What macroalgae should I consider for my goals?
I started a fuge in my reefer 250 directly in the sump compartment. I tried a cheap light off Amazon with just chaeto and it didn't go well. Once I upgraded to a Kessil H80 my chaeto took off. This was a primary example of "invest in something good from the start cuz you'll end up buying it anyway" for me. Others have success with cheaper lights, so up to you if you want to try that.

Chaeto keeps nitrates and phosphates super low, if I crank the photoperiod all the way up I could keep them at 0 if I wanted. Definitely recommend chaeto for nutrient control.

Not sure what algae would be good for feeding the fish as I haven't tried this

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light the chaeto the same way you grow coral. I light mine with a 75W LED and can export nutrients to 0 and feed whatever I want.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a fuge in my reefer 250 directly in the sump compartment. I tried a cheap light off Amazon with just chaeto and it didn't go well. Once I upgraded to a Kessil H80 my chaeto took off. This was a primary example of "invest in something good from the start cuz you'll end up buying it anyway" for me. Others have success with cheaper lights, so up to you if you want to try that.

Chaeto keeps nitrates and phosphates super low, if I crank the photoperiod all the way up I could keep them at 0 if I wanted. Definitely recommend chaeto for nutrient control.

Not sure what algae would be good for feeding the fish as I haven't tried this
What lights do you use in your display?

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's working well? If so I think I'm sold on the H80.. can't see why you'd need anything bigger
Yup! I can visibly see the chaeto growing week over week, my nitrates are steady at 4ppm and I am struggling to keep phosphates above 0. Still trying to dial it in.

I had mediocre results at first with a lower intensity setting on the H80. Once I cranked that up it started working flawlessly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back