Starting a salt water tank

Roccityd

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
21
Location
Rochester
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing multiple fresh water tanks but now I really want to do a salt water tank. Nothing crazy just fish really, trying to figure size if tank and filtration I should use to get started. I could possibly use a tank I already have. Thanks for all suggestions
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Can you tell us about the tank and filtration that you have? Many times the tank will work well after it is thoroughly cleaned, however the filtration may or may not be passable but often less than optimal. Good luck with your new adventure!
 
Welcome to R2R glad you joined.
40F414EB-5D2D-481E-8BBC-F06EC1C22EF1.jpeg
 
Welcome to R2R!! :)

My first saltwater system was a 35 hex. It was a bit small, when the tank got a crack, I upgraded to a 75. I would suggest a 75 plus in case you decide to go full reef and for the type of fish you would like to have in the tank.
 
I don't suggest going as big as you can. I suggest you research what livestock you want to keep and let that decide what tank size you need. There is such a thing as to big and bigger also cost more to setup.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new