Starting Calcium Reactor

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a calcium reactor for the first time. How long does it take until it actually begins to break down media and adds calcium to the water? I currently is kalk. Should I continue to supplement the water until the reactor is effective?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the ph is decreased in the reactor, it should start to melt the media. By injecting co2 you are just making the water acidic. It starts as soon as the water's ph gets below the point in which your particular brand of media begins to dissolve.

Icemam457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the ph is decreased in the reactor, it should start to melt the media. By injecting co2 you are just making the water acidic. It starts as soon as the water's ph gets below the point in which your particular brand of media begins to dissolve.

like stated above you are making carbonic acid and that is what is dissolving the media. In my experience it takes about a week to dial in your calcium reactor.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my calc reactor at ph 6.5. Works well. Make sure you have good flow through reactor so it doesn't turn your media to mush. I use the bigger media.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does the media in the reactors last? how often do you have to refill your tanks? is there another way to run these reactors without a Co2 tank? in addition to the reactor, what else are you dosing in your tank?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back