Starting completely over...

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my system up for 5 years and it looked pretty good. But I’ve never been happy with the aquascape. My main structure was built out of very large Haitian and pukani rocks, and it gave me a lot of dead spots when it came to flow.
I’ve been toying with the idea of starting completely over for some time. Finally jumped the gun this week and sold the rock and all of the coral. I’ve purchased two custom dry live rock designs from my LFS Top Shelf Aquatics. I’ve inserted the first piece last night and pick up the second piece Saturday morning. I had a few pieces of rock that were the under structure of my old scape, which is good as it will help seed the new rock. Also will continue to stir the old sand to use the detritus and stuff to help cause a cycle.
I want to thank Alex and Kevin from Top Shelf Aquatics for the help and structures. Already have had to cut my MP40’s down 50% to keep sand in place. Kevin does some great custom structures and I would reach out if this is something you are looking for. You will have to be patient as each structure is a labor of love, and done on his spare time. I happened to have lucked out as one structure was complete and in the store, while the second is 95% finished. Will attach more pics on Saturday with the complete scape. Already looking forward February to start adding coral...

FA7CDC64-C483-4BAE-BF56-9DD5AE222273.jpeg 4A37666E-84BF-4804-A207-E0B5F3DE021F.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow - what an adventure! While I'm sure that this process is filled with mixed emotion, this is a neat opportunity and hopefully you will bring us along on your journey! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was cleaning debris from my sand today , I’ve found a bunch of small frags from some of my SPS colonies I just got rid of. Mainly 1/4” tips and a few small branches. I’ve glued these on small pieces of old live rock that was also in the sand.
Since I had decided ( wife) to keep most of the fish, I was going to run only blue LEDs at a low setting for the next couple of months. Hoping to avoid the uglies while the new rock matured some. As I’ve found these little frags, I may run the lights a bit brighter and put these up high. 50% just blues and UV. Am I looking at an issue? Rock wise/algae?
Also, I’ve decided to keep my Triton fuge running in hopes of helping eliminate any PO4 that may leach. Would you suggest GFO also?

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just over a month in. Fish are all very comfortable with the new rock. Also it seems to have settled any aggression as there is a lot of caves/overhangs. This makes me hopeful for when I start stocking more fish.
current Fish List:
Regal Blue Hippo
Orange Shoulder Tang
Lyertail Anthias
Thunder Maroon Clown (M)
Gold Dot Maroon Clown (F)
Porcupine Puffer
Mystery Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
Scribble Rabbit
Algae Blenny

I’m trying to hold out for a bit before I start adding coral but I did add three anemones, WWC Hawaiian Punch, Rainbow and Flame Tip. So I’m running my blue lights only right now. Wondering when I should start bringing in the rest of the spectrum.

A888F148-11F2-4135-B746-C53E4BB6DDD3.jpeg 047FD3C8-9608-4776-91AC-E251F3C120B8.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Following!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sense of depth created is outstanding. What kind of rock did you use and how did you make it so perfect?
acrylic rods / marco cement and alot of skills

Other than the center strip which is older rock from before ( combo of Haitian and Pukani) and being used for seeding the new rock, it’s all reef saver/Marco. And cemented.
I made the decision to do this just before I was leaving on an extended work trip. Since Top Shelf Aquatics has been my LFS of choice for many years, I’ve seen some of Kevin’s structures and his skill grow over that time. and it just so happened that he had two that fit perfect.
I’m sure if you reached out to TSA, they would be more than happy to work with you.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I am in Nj and bought 5 frags from TSA and speaking with Austin was a pleasure - Unfortunately not local.. I actually picked up 1 large piece of Haitian rock from RAP last year and when I was in Orlando last year I picked up as much Haitian rubble rock at WWC. last year I cleaned out Aquacave of there awkwardly large tonga. I think I have enough rock now to get creative for a 400 gallon tank. I'll definately use your pics as inspiration so thanks for sharing.
0115192212_HDR.jpg
r.jpg

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I am in Nj and bought 5 frags from TSA and speaking with Austin was a pleasure - Unfortunately not local.. I actually picked up 1 large piece of Haitian rock from RAP last year and when I was in Orlando last year I picked up as much Haitian rubble rock at WWC. last year I cleaned out Aquacave of there awkwardly large tonga. I think I have enough rock now to get creative for a 400 gallon tank. I'll definately use your pics as inspiration so thanks for sharing.
0115192212_HDR.jpg
r.jpg
You'vegot some nice pieces there

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some fish in yesterday
Black Cap
Flameback
Coral Beauty
Lamarcks
Bullet Goby
Sailfin
Green Bird Wrasse
Juvi. Clown Trigger

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally at the point of adding corals to the tank. I planted 12 SPS frags, a couple of goni’s, and a few other bits yesterday.

I have to say the cycle has been rather mild on this. Have not really had the uglies. I ran my lights at 25% just blue for the first few months. Skimmer and refugium online from the beginning. I never dosed bacteria, I have the sand a serious stir just before I added the new rock. I figured there was enough junk in there to start a good strong cycle. Also removed two 5g buckets of sand in the process. In November I added a large order from Algae Barn, 8 mason jars of pods. And throughout the time I have been stocking fish.

Things were going great until about 10 days before Christmas. My Porcupine puffer whom I’ve had for about 4 years, snapped and started taking out fish. He would swim above his target and then swoop down and break their spines with his beak. Not sure why the sudden change. All of the fish were extremely well fed.

This caused a chain reaction of multiple events. First it started with a fish disappearing almost everyday.

Day 1 - Black Cap didn’t show up for any of the feedings.
Day 2- juv. Lamarks didn’t show up for breakfast. And the Flameback disappears before dinner. I searched for bodies or for them hiding somewhere, nothing.
Day 4- just after breakfast I hear a gasp from my wife, the puffer is caught with my Potters Leopard Wrasse in his mouth. The fish is bent like an angle iron. Still no signs of the other fish. And I’m starting to suspect the puffer may have been the culprit. But haven’t seen anything happen. As the puffer was my wife’s favorite, she thought maybe he just found the wrasse already dead. But I’m noticing all of the fish are staying on the opposite sides of the tank from the puffer and schooling all together.

Now, we have been hand feeding this puffer from the beginning since it was just eyeballs and fins. So there was definitely a bond between us. Once he noticed us anywhere near the tank he would spit water and get real excited. Obviously because our shapes meant food. So we never really noticed any bad behavior or what was going on when he didn’t think we were watching.

Day 5- why is my Sailfin stuck to my pump? Not once, but three times. Luckily I found him each time. My Regal hippo has been constantly hiding, my orange shoulder is looking like he’s developing ich and at feeding everyone is staying within the rocks, darting out for a morsel or two. Except the puffer. The discussion continues with the wife.

Day 6- caught red handed. First kill was my bullet gobie. Snapped the back and spit him out. Then chased my sailfin for a second until he noticed me. I removed the broken fish, nothing I could do. Quick call to the wife, puffer has to go. At this point, my other fish are all looking stressed, ragged fins, symptoms of ich, looking malnourished even with two feedings a day. So I have to make my plan. Find a store that will take the accused, catch him, set up the QT for the sick and some how catch them.

All in the span of two hours I catch the puffer chase the sailfin into my MP60 twice and then kill my prized fish , Blotchy Anthias. The puffer is gone to the store.

Day 7- I realize my QT is way to small. I’ve QT’d one or two fish at a time, but now I’m looking at 3 tangs, scribbled rabbit, lyretail Anthias, longnose hawk, mated pair of designer maroons, a green bird wrasse and a mystery wrasse, a coral beauty, and an oversized algae blenny. Not going to fit in a 20g long. Wait, scratch that, just found my Sailfin in my Vortech.. to late this time.
Day 8- Orange Shoulder is showing signs of Velvet, so is my Lyretail. Both gone by that night. Algae Blenny MIA.

Here we are 10 days later. And I can’t catch any of the fish. But everyone left is looking healthy. Back to eating normal and getting fat. No signs of ich or velvet and fins are healing. Unfortunately now I believe I have velvet in the tank. And I would have to drain all of the water and remove all of my rocks to catch these fish. Go with a big tank I said, it’ll be easier. So I’m not sure what to do at the moment. Everyone looks good, as I said. But I also lost a big bioload and would like to restock some. I know I have to go fallow for 12+ weeks to kill the velvet (76 days I’ve read).

B17CAD31-F945-4CAC-81C2-6B4720B20EC1.jpeg

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcupine Puffers are no joke. They also get very large and are often caught hook and line, striking big baits like full sized sardines.

Putting your hands in a tank with one comes with a lot of risk.

Diving the Hole in the Wall off Jupiter is always an unusual dive. The depth and proximity to the Gulfstream attracts many large pelagic visitors. This day turned stranger when a porcupine puffer fish launched out of a hole and bit my little finger off. Yes, I said puffer fish. Those cute, cuddly, doe eyed denizens of the deep apparently have quite a temper and a vicious set of teeth.​
After leading a group through the cavern called the hole in the wall, we traveled down the wall at a depth of 130'. In my peripheral, I saw an 18" long puffer fish neatly tucked into a lobster looking hole. I stopped the group so everyone could ooh and aah over the pretty fish. I first touched the fish on the head to get him to come out of the hole. Since the area is known to be a regular hangout for Bull sharks, this guy was not budging. Sharks like to eat blowfish. Persistently, I waggled my hand in front of his face acting like food. My hope was to entice him to came out and play. That is when he launched forward and got hold of my pinkie. Playtime over! Man that hurt. This cute little fish has teeth like a parrotfish and the ability to crush rocks if necessary. He bit my gloved hand like a piranha on a dining mission. When he was ready, he let go. I was in pain, but relieved that my glove wasn't cut. When I took my glove off, I realized half of my finger was still in the glove. The stump that extended from my hand was clouding the water with green smoke. It was so thick I couldn't see my hand. I grabbed the base of my finger to attempt to stop the blood cloud and was shocked to see the damage inflicted.​
The guffaws at the emergency room were endless. "A puffer fish?", everyone asked. They were unable to reattach the digit due to the crushing effect of the teeth on the glove. I will go to a plastic surgeon next week to get a skin graft or "flap over" as they called it. I am considering having a small Captain Hook style attachment but decided I would probably poke my eye out before I got used to it. With a generous supply of painkillers, I am restricted to shop duties. I am however humiliated by the weak reputation of the attacker.​
The other comment I got from divers was, "I never knew puffers could bite. I didn't even think they had teeth." Yes they can and do. Please be officially advised: Do not mess with the animals; they will defend their selves.​
In my thirty years of diving, I am sorry to say I have touched the fishes. I have even captured a puffer to let it blow up for the crowd. I realized several years ago it is not nice to blow up the puffers and all the wildlife should be left to it's natural self. In my time I have swam with sharks on numerous occasions and had Green morays swim into my BC looking for a treat. Just last week I had a Goliath Grouper fight me over a cobia I speared too close to his territory. I never imagined I would have to tell my grandchildren I lost my finger to a puffer. Instead I will tell them I discovered a new species of deep-water puffer fishes. Just like their porcupine cousins, they are cuddly but have teeth half the length of their torso and can bite through a shark in a single lunge. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.​
Randy Jordan​
Jupiter Dive Center​

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a moment since I’ve updated. I’m finding myself with some extra time due to what’s happening in the country right now. I work as a professional in the entertainment world and it has been shut down for the foreseeable future. So a good time to update and also do some more possible changes.
So the puffer was sold and deaths in the tank finally stopped. I lost over half my fish to the puffer and the stress caused by its killing spree. I had to leave for a gig down in Miami, gone for four weeks. Unfortunately the loss of fish had a bigger impact than I expected. Nutrients dropped dramatically in the system and wiped out 80% of the frags I had put in. So I came home to a bunch of skeletons primarily.
Thinking about the money lost, I’ve decided to go what I thought may be an easier route. I’m just gonna do softies and LPS. Got to say it’s a different learning curve. My tank is still to clean and I feed a ton.
Got hit with another issue two weeks ago. My EB32 ( Apex powerstrip) fried for some reason, taking out my whole lighting system (5x XR15 pros) and my DOS(x2)completely. I’ve had enough with Apex. So I’ve had to purchase new lights (2x XR30 Blues and 1x XR15 Blue) and a new doser ( Kamoer X4 Pro). Not something I was wanting to do, or money I was wanting to spend. I have not replaced the Apex power strip as of yet. There has got to be a better system out there.
While doing some of the replacement work and to help return some nutrients back to the system, I figured I should collect some algae out of my fuge. I’ve been running the Triton Method for several years now. As per their instructions, leave the fuge alone. Well as I grabbed a small handful of macros I notice an infestation of flatworms that would be unreal if it moved to the display. Millions of them.. Shut the sump off, cleaned out and fresh macros in from Reefcleaners.
looking at possibly changing how and what I dose. Would love some tips. Thinking about stepping away from Triton. I find that the colors don’t really pop as much any more and also it can be very hard to get things when needed. I have a Kalk stirrer sitting brand new in my garage. Been there for quite some time. A little small for my system, ( rated up to 135g)but at this point my system isn’t very demanding. Never used one, and been atleast 10 years since I’ve used Kalk. What else would you dose with it?

And since I have the time at home, I want to work on flow in my system. The display has an overflow box with three (3/4”) bulkheads. Currently it is set up as main drain, return and emergency drain. Thinking of making it 2x drains and 1 emergency drain with returns coming up and over the back of the tank. This would allow more flow through the sump. I currently have an Ecotech L1 for a return and can only run at 45%. Secondly, I have what feel may be to much flow in my system currently. 2x MP60’s and 2x MP40’s. I was having issues with a second older set of MP40’s struggling with my tank thickness (3/4” glass) so I purchased 2 MP60’s last year. Well running at30% is still a ton of flow. So will probably drop the two MP40’s ( having issues with glass thickness on these two now) run the MP60’s in a Gyre type set up.
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome..

9ABDE8F4-2152-4AD5-A6DE-1FFE1156A773.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back