Starting cycle, but is PH too low for starter fish?

Hardboiled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I am starting up my cycle on a 43g. Red Sea Reefer 170. I filled the tank initially with water 4 days ago and let the tank clear from the sand cloud (RODI water and Tropic Marin Reef Pro salt) while I waited for my Fritze to arrive. Tonight, I added a 4oz. bottle of Fritze Turbo Start and dose of Seachem Prime. I have 2 clown fish that I was then going to add to the tank for a fish cycle (currently in a small secondary tank). However, the somewhat low PH was just giving me some pause. Is it ok to add clowns to a PH of 7.55? I believe all other parameters are fine and the Seachem should protect them from the Ammonia for the cycle over the next week assuming Fritze performs as advertised. I will be dosing Seachem Prime every 2 days for at least a week and monitor ammonia.
  • Water temp 78
  • Salinity 1.025
  • Alk 8.4 (Hanna Checker)
  • PH 7.55 (Seneye reading)
  • NH3 .001ppm (Seneye reading)

Thank you

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria will need the ammonia to grow. I dont think binding it up with prime would be the best choice. I would hold off for a week and let the bacteria grow while either adding a little ammonia to the tank or ghost feeding it.
Your Ph should not be a factor unless its way out of wack with the tank the fish are in now. Just like temp.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do fish in cycle. However low pH is normal during the cycle phase due to the bacterial/biological processes happening and it should correct itself once the cycle is done and the tank is stable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back