Starting lights for 100x40cm Aquarium - Advice Wanted

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set-up a marine tank and eventually have some LPS corals like Hammers/Xenias

Currently the tank has its old T8 Tropical lights, which I highly doubt will do much for anything but Algae in a reef.

So I'm curious to know if there is a T8 tube bulb thing that'll work for my aquarium to grow corals?

The alternative I was looking at was something like this:

Budget is extremely limited here and length of tank probably means I'm going to need 2 of any LED light to properly cover the tank area I am assuming.
Would be very nice if there was a viable T8 build I could plug and play into my old Hood without issues. Thanks in advance.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set-up a marine tank and eventually have some LPS corals like Hammers/Xenias

Currently the tank has its old T8 Tropical lights, which I highly doubt will do much for anything but Algae in a reef.

So I'm curious to know if there is a T8 tube bulb thing that'll work for my aquarium to grow corals?

The alternative I was looking at was something like this:

Budget is extremely limited here and length of tank probably means I'm going to need 2 of any LED light to properly cover the tank area I am assuming.
Would be very nice if there was a viable T8 build I could plug and play into my old Hood without issues. Thanks in advance.

What is your price range I am also in your position of a tight wallet lol you can’t buy a cheap light though that is the problem I would recommend for a budget also if you can kessil lighting is also a great brand and you get what you pay for

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably need 2 of those Viparspectras to fully light my tank, I could probably just afford 1 of them, and that doest solve the problem of not being able to mount it to the tank.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would this be a suitable light for corals up to beginner-ish LPS?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a couple softies at the top of that I would save until you can buy what you need, what size tank do you have? Or you could do what I’m doing I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08J...25050&widget=sd_onsite_mobileweb&spPl=1&psc=1. This is sustainable for a good range of coral i bought this then about a month or two later when I had the money I bought a kessle A160 I think it is I’m not fully sure.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably need 2 of those Viparspectras to fully light my tank, I could probably just afford 1 of them, and that doest solve the problem of not being able to mount it to the tank.
And trust me I know your on a budget but you can cut back on other things but lighting is not one of them your looking at about 200 to 400 dollar lights

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back