Starting my 29 Gal Reef Tank

Grnltrn2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Jamie, I live in Southern Illinois (Around Carbondale), and I have just started my 29 Gal Reef Tank. I'm very excited. I've done lots of research, and attempted to make the most informed decisions I can. I've bought parts of the tank over the last 6 months, returned some as I found better. . .Sadly, There are few places around here that have quality corals, or even seem to understand a "Reef Tank". My local LFS is kinda helpful, but after reading about corals I realized his "Show Tank" is not well kept, almost all his corals are bleached and dying. . .He has some BEAUTIFUL zoas that are trying their hardest to stay out of the blinding white light he has going all the time.
SO, that brings me here! Hopefully to find friendly faces and a place for information!

My Setup (Some upgrades are planned)
29 Gal Tank (bought it at Petco)
20lbs BRS Pukani Dry Live Rock.
25ish lbs Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand
Penguin 150 HOB filter (It's a backup, my Fluval C3 Power Filter came in broke)
Finnex Hang-On Digital Controller Aquarium Heater, Titanium Tube
Kessil A160WE (I'll be picking up another of these later this year)
Kessil Spectral controller
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 gph (I plan on purchasing a larger one, I just needed water circulation)

Plans for the future. . .
Additional Kessil A160WE
Controller System (I'm still researching Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper, and Apex)
Battery Backup (A whole home generator with 30 sec auto switch over is being installed in March)

Anyway I just got Rock, Sand, and Water in it this weekend and when my new filter comes in I'll finish the aquascaping. . .
20160809_072858.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new addiction. Starting off by researching is the best thing you could have done. Don't be afraid to ask questions, R2R is filled with willing and able folks to help out.

OP
OP
Grnltrn2814

Grnltrn2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new addiction. Starting off by researching is the best thing you could have done. Don't be afraid to ask questions, R2R is filled with willing and able folks to help out.
Thank you! Due, largely, to location I have few other Saltwater fish people to talk to. Google has pointed me here multiple times during my research, so I figured I might as well join!

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup you've started there! I have an automatic home generator as well and it's tremendous peace of mind for me in regards to the tank. Good luck and welcome aboard!

OP
OP
Grnltrn2814

Grnltrn2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup you've started there! I have an automatic home generator as well and it's tremendous peace of mind for me in regards to the tank. Good luck and welcome aboard!
I watched a video on YouTube of "mrs reef" I think, she had a beautiful tank and set up. Her power went out for 3 hours before she woke up and she lost almost everything. It was heart breaking. So I'm just gonna take some extra precautions.

dlynch8802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my 29. Definitely take it slow and read as much as you can. Many may disagree, but you should get a skimmer for some nutrient export. I have a reef octopus classic 1000 on mine(and it works great) or at least make an HOB refugium with some chaeto. Besides that, tank looks great!

OP
OP
Grnltrn2814

Grnltrn2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my 29. Definitely take it slow and read as much as you can. Many may disagree, but you should get a skimmer for some nutrient export. I have a reef octopus classic 1000 on mine(and it works great) or at least make an HOB refugium with some chaeto. Besides that, tank looks great!

I've been contemplating. My plan right now is to see how it goes for a bit, I'll have a light bioload until I get my second light. But at that point I may go all the way and set up a sump. I have space in my basement right below, and could easily plum it. But I'm still not sure.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back