Starting out with general questions.

Newbsammich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I am just starting out with my Red Sea reefer 350. I have a few questions.

1. Best location for my 2 300 watt Finnex heaters. They will fit in my return pump or skimmer location. Does it matter where ?

2. I picked up a apex Neptune. Does it matter where the sensors go ?

and that’s all for now.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Congrats on becoming the latest Red Sea convert! I placed my Schego heaters in my skimmer section (you may find that a pair of 300-watts is more than you need as I run a pair of 300-watts on my 750XXL).
2. I placed my probes at the end of the chamber where you can place an optional refugium. I wouldn't place them in the return pump chamber or the tank overflow return chamber as the water level can and will fluctuate in the first and you'll be subjecting the probes to unfiltered tank water in the latter.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I am just starting out with my Red Sea reefer 350. I have a few questions.

1. Best location for my 2 300 watt Finnex heaters. They will fit in my return pump or skimmer location. Does it matter where ?

and that’s all for now.
1. Do the finnex have an external,controller? If so they want to be near the sensor.
2. The salinity sensor is sensitive to bubbles, so not in the skimmer chamber if possible.

OP
OP
N

Newbsammich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Finnex do not come with a external controller. I will have them programmed to my apex. Basically running one as main for 14 hrs and switching. Apparently it extends the life.

it is a V3 sump so it has the included refugiam. I was planning on using it as well.
My only real option as of now for sensors is return pump, skimmer, or intake chamber.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Finnex do not come with a external controller. I will have them programmed to my apex. Basically running one as main for 14 hrs and switching. Apparently it extends the life.

it is a V3 sump so it has the included refugiam. I was planning on using it as well.
My only real option as of now for sensors is return pump, skimmer, or intake chamber.
If you're going to run a refugium then the only real option for the Apex probes is in the skimmer chamber, along with your heaters. I would probably try and place the heaters and skimmer at opposite ends to minimize bubbles.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most will recommend some redundant safety for the heating system. If the sensor fails or heater output fails on, you will have fish soup. You could use an inkbird to control the finnex. Power the inkbird thru apex and shut down if temp,gets too high.
I have my sensors in the skimmer chamber. I don't use the apex salinity.

OP
OP
N

Newbsammich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you place the inkbird sensor in the main tank or also in sump?
Would the apex sensor not detect if heat is to high and kill the heaters ?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also in the sump. Keep as much out of the display tank as possible.

And yes, absolutely the Apex sensor would detect if the heat is too high. The point is that thermometers are the most unreliable piece of equipment you will ever have in your tank. You want multiple different thermometers - multiple levels of redundancy - in place in your tank to prevent them from failing 'on'.

For example, I have three levels in my tank - the heaters themselves are temp-controlled, the Inkbird has its own thermometer, and my Apex has a thermometer. If any one of those fails, the other two will prevent a lethal overheating from occurring.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Biokabe said, plus the heat output may fail on, or the apex may fail. It is hobby grade, not mission critical failsafe.
Inkbird sensor where the heaters are.

OP
OP
N

Newbsammich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I picked up two inkbirds for each of my heaters.

now I need to find room for everything. My skimmer is a bit big.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

and that’s all for now.
Place probes where there is minimal current and no air bubbles which gives false readings

Heater- one on each end of tank

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back