Starting SPS

Thade_hicks

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2022
Messages
161
Reaction score
64
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I start with orange povana or rainbow digitata frags?
 
Should I start with orange povana or rainbow digitata frags?
Digis are more forgiving.

You need to make sure you have tight control of Alkalinity, no SPS coral like wild swings.

You should have your dosing automated at least 4 times a day when the lights are on.

Test Alk daily.
 
Upvote 0
Digis are more forgiving.

You need to make sure you have tight control of Alkalinity, no SPS coral like wild swings.

You should have your dosing automated at least 4 times a day when the lights are on.

Test Alk daily.
Can you please clarify this for me? I do manual dosing atm, have just started and I am dosing about 15ml daily. I do it all at the same time. Is it better to do 5ml at say 3hr intervals... I am only learning also cheers
 
Upvote 0
Can you please clarify this for me? I do manual dosing atm, have just started and I am dosing about 15ml daily. I do it all at the same time. Is it better to do 5ml at say 3hr intervals... I am only learning also cheers
How big is your tank and how much alk is your tank consuming per day. 15ml of a balanced two part seems like a lot if you just have LPS (though definitely not impossible). Depending on the size of your tank and how much dkh 15ml amounts to in your tank, you may want to split it up into a couple doses.
 
Upvote 0
Can you please clarify this for me? I do manual dosing atm, have just started and I am dosing about 15ml daily. I do it all at the same time. Is it better to do 5ml at say 3hr intervals... I am only learning also cheers
15ml seems a lot for a new tank, but it depends on what exactly you are dosing.

If it's a traditional balling mix, you should split that into 4 doses a day.

Please tell us what exactly you are dosing, there are some very concentrated mixtures out there.

example: My tank consumes around 4dkh per day which is pretty huge for a 75 gal tank, but is is full of SPS.
 
Upvote 0
Digis are more forgiving.

You need to make sure you have tight control of Alkalinity, no SPS coral like wild swings.

You should have your dosing automated at least 4 times a day when the lights are on.

Test Alk daily.
Since I've been out of co2(just picked up a tank last night) I have been dosing alk from midnight to noon and cal from noon to 5 pm.
I did this because after lights go down the ph starts to taper off. Alk dosing once per hour starting at midnight keeps ph from dipping to low and at noon is already building back up.
12 doses per day is what I'm doing. more doses less amount is the key to stability.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new