Starting the Triton method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I have had many problems with my tank as of late, and basically, I am going to do a complete restart.

I have a RedSea Reefer 35o and I am looking at replacing the sump with a Trigger Triton 34 which seems from my reading as a good Triton sump for my display size. (Display is 275 litres/73 gallons with the refugium on the Trigger Triton 34 being 37.6 litres/10 gallons, so 13.7% of the display. Triton recommends 10-20% from what I read)

I have previously been dosing using the Red Sea program, and testing Kh,Ca,Mg as the main three and Nitrate and Phosphate weekly also.

From what I read the full Triton will be dosing using the Core 7 Base Elements 1,2,3a,3b.

This is where I am slightly confused since by what I read I just test Kh (not Ca Mg etc) and increase/decrease all of the four of the Base Elements equally to obtain a steady 8dKh. Do I not also test the Ca and Mg? Is there no adjustment with regard the Ca and Mg?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you still test calc and mag as normal , on the triton forum on here at a he top triton explain what too do if you get an unbalance in calc mag and alk

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ca and Mg are just the standard levels? Nothing any different recommended for the Triton?

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Reefer 35o and I am looking at replacing the sump with a Trigger Triton 34 which seems from my reading as a good Triton sump for my display size. (Display is 275 litres/73 gallons with the refugium on the Trigger Triton 34 being 37.6 litres/10 gallons, so 13.7% of the display. Triton recommends 10-20% from what I read)

This is where I am slightly confused since by what I read I just test Kh (not Ca Mg etc) and increase/decrease all of the four of the Base Elements equally to obtain a steady 8dKh. Do I not also test the Ca and Mg? Is there no adjustment with regard the Ca and Mg?

If you got your mind made up on that sump I won't talk you out of it cause they do look awesome! But, if you have to dose NO3 and PO4 your current sump is working great. Since the triton method is so simple I just got a Petco special and added some stiff filter pad material for baffling. Triton says to throw those filter socks out! I chucked my skimmer while I was at it. And I have Never been happier with my tank! Still, I may have to Nitrate dose.

You will still check your other parameters but not as often. It's all keyed off of the Alk. The IPC test will tell you a lot about your tank too. I have Tin (Sn) contamination that I'm working on remedying.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. 125 long and two baffles were all that were needed. Submersible pump and your done, although I still like my protein skimmer. Still both fascinates me to no end how they work and just how much foul smelling gunk they pull out!

M

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to check your other levels. Keep them WNL. Triton is just a dosing method that includes trace elements and also your nutrient export method. I am running triton. I have very good restults with just my cheato and skimmer. I have to dose nitrate daily. If you haven't bought a sump yet.... nothing fancy is needed unless you like it! Just a baffle for the cheato and a baffle for the skimmer. Plain and simple

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your consumption and tank size. If you have a big tank and a full Established SPS reef then yes it will be very expensive. If you have a smaller tank with a mixed reef it is not too bad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back