Starting up a 100g tank

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I am planning on starting up a 100g aquarium 60 inches wide and not sure about the rest of the dimensions I believe depth is 22 inches. I do like tangs and this will be a FOWLR in case I need to ever do medications In the future. However I am looking for any stocking ideas for the tank as this will be the display tank. Right now I’m thinking to do the following
Blue tang
Purple tang
Bengaii cardinals
Foxface rabbitfish
Lawnmower blenny
pair of CB clowns

I wanted to mix a purple and yellow tang but I’ve heard if I do that, I would be able to have my blue tang. If anyone has any tips for mixing tangs or what a good number of tangs would be for a 5 foot tank, that would be great. Also I’ve had tangs before in a 75G but I only had a Sailfin and bristletooth

UGASealDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mixing tangs is a challenge. Purple tangs are notorious assh@les but there are always exceptions. Best advice I can give is to get all at the same time and very young. Make sure they are introduced at the same time as well.

As for as the clowns, they are damsel fish and have a similar personality as the Purple Tang. Same rule applies, however, unless they are a mated pair, it is usually better to have three or more clowns as a harem. One will eventually become dominant and turn into the female.

There are always exceptions but generally adding them together and very young gives one the best chance of success.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thank, that’s what I’ve heard. Adding tangs at the same time is the least risky method, I added my sailfin and bristletooth separately and it was fireworks. I’ve heard the two more aggressive Zebrasomas are yellow and purple. Maybe it would be best to choose 1 zebrasoma for a 100G? What I’m really trying to figure out is my limit and the least risky ones to mix. At the end of the day I’ll still be dealing with general tang aggression so is 100G enough space?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back