Starting ZeoLight on a new tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I've recently set up my Red Sea Reefer 525 and I will be running the Balling and ZeoLight methods, however I am unsure of how to go about the ZeoLight part.

I've set the tank up with Carribsea Live Sand, and uncycled Reef Bones for the rock work. I used Bakto Blend and Therapy to start things off and the nitrate cycle has kicked off really well, so it's time I added my Zeo setup - I'm just not sure on what dosages I should be using. I'm going off the tank being 500L after displacement to make things easier.

The plan livestock wise, as I am upgrading from my old tank, is to only bring the fish over. It will be a heavy SPS tank and I don't want to risk bringing anything over as no doubt with the reef bones, I'll have levels all over the place for some time.

Any thoughts and advice please?

Thanks
Andy

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andy,

Congrats on join the Zeolight and Balling Light club!

Your best bet is to begin by adding 500g of Zeolight media and following the dosage recommendations noted in our manual. The instructions will provide you with a starting point. Since all tanks will have different needs, it is likely that you will have to adjust a few dosages along the way. Take it slow and results will show. :)

On the meantime, you can continue adding the Bakto set on a weekly basis. Once your levels have stabilized, you can either continue the Bakto set or put it on hold.

OP
OP
Pandy

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a seasoned Balling Light user, and ran ZeoLight on my old tank for 6 months before I upgraded - love both systems, and your salt.

I've read the manual but couldn't quite follow it for the 'new tank' method.

Should I just go in with the full dosage considering I'm not adjusting an existing tank and livestock to the system, or go with maybe half dose until I do add coral? With it being a new tank and possibly coral-less for a month or two yet (at the least if it takes a while to settle) I don't want to waste product if it's not needed.

Thanks
Andy

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy,

Start with half dose until you start adding coral to your tank. Once you've done that, you can slowly work your way up to the recommended amounts.

OP
OP
Pandy

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thanks.

When you say half a dose, does that apply to the stones? I've put 250g in the reactor atm as a half dose but it should be 500g fully running if I'm right, and as you mentioned earlier.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back