OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I was working on my tank just now, and thinking about buying a hydor to put in my sump to help blow around the detritus per the "tips for keeping acros" sticky, so i was researching and found this thread.

I was thinking about the hydor I have in my DT. It is over 10 years old, it is the most powerful first generation hydor, and it works great still. I will probably replace it soon, but man, ten years and three reef tanks. pretty impressive if you ask me.

I can only relay my experience. 3 years and 2 cracked circulators. This could have injured me and my livestock (which I am convinced it did). I'll never buy again.

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only relay my experience. 3 years and 2 cracked circulators. This could have injured me and my livestock (which I am convinced it did). I'll never buy again.

Wonder if like many things is this world, they have lessened in quality as they have been "remodeled." I have been shopping around all night for a nice power head for my sump, and I ended up buying the tunze 6045. Seems like a nice powerhead with a good warranty. In the near future I plan on replacing my old hydor with some new powerheads attached to a wave maker, still haven't made my mind up, but I'm leaning towards tunze.

BTW I appreciate you sharing your experience, sometimes it's easy to become biases towards a product you have a sentimental value for. Honestly if it were not for this thread I most likely would have just bought a hydor koralia for my sump, but it caused me to second guess that choice and dig a little deeper with my research, and the tunze ended up winning out. So thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if like many things is this world, they have lessened in quality as they have been "remodeled." I have been shopping around all night for a nice power head for my sump, and I ended up buying the tunze 6045. Seems like a nice powerhead with a good warranty. In the near future I plan on replacing my old hydor with some new powerheads attached to a wave maker, still haven't made my mind up, but I'm leaning towards tunze.

BTW I appreciate you sharing your experience, sometimes it's easy to become biases towards a product you have a sentimental value for. Honestly if it were not for this thread I most likely would have just bought a hydor koralia for my sump, but it caused me to second guess that choice and dig a little deeper with my research, and the tunze ended up winning out. So thanks
I don't think you can go wrong with Tunze, even if it is not what I use.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the only reason I made this thread. I would hate to think one of these beautiful animals or their keepers (us) could get hurt by poor quality. Btw, I also bought 3 Tunze powerheads. I have two 6045s and one 6025. I tried the Ecotech MP10, but my glass was too thick and the MP40 was too expensive. The Tunze were a bit louder (more of a vibration than noise) than expected, but no one seems to mind. They move a lot of water. I have them wide open.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be pretty much vibration free. Can you tell exactly where the vibration is coming from? It has to be a solid surface so you should be able to isolate it. See if the cord is resting on something it doesn't have to be. Use your fingers to trace to the source of the vibrations.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a drawer full of those Hydor pumps. They just don't last long at all.
I just removed this from my tank after about 20 years of constantly running my skimmer with no cleaning or anything else. I actually forgot it was running. I replaced it with a larger pump but there is nothing wrong with it.

I think this one ran for about 30 years until I recently retired it. I miss the days of good manufacturing.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your hydro but I have been running my koralia 4's since 2008 just bought 2 1050 last Christmas. Anything man made can last or not last. I'm happy buying no name pumps from amazon all I'm needing is flow

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back