Stay away from WAV, 1Link - pumps start to fail after 1 year.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I let the community know - guys stay away from Neptune WAV pumps and the 1Link module. Someone started a very nice thread on Neptune Community Forums, asking members who ran WAVs for more then a year. Reports started coming in of the pumps starting to fail right between 1-2 years of use. Neptune seemed to take care of the issue, but it seems they no longer are once you cross the 2-year mark.

WAV pumps
WAV pumps seem to just fail out of the blue. Initial responses seemed to point the finger at lack of maintenance, broken impellers, basically user fault. But as people started to post pictures, some pumps were impeccable, cleaned regularly, until they died. If yours dies in the magic 1-2 year mark, you are lucky. If not (and more and more of these are going to show up very soon), get ready to shell out another $100 on this system. Neptune is offering a replacement at 50% discount, although Jon was very quick to mention normally the discount is 20%. Here in lies the question - if the product is not faulty, and you stand by your warranty, why offer 50% when your standard discount is 20?

1Link Module
The module that controls these pumps has a serious design flaw. This was advertised as a magic product compared to mp40s. You don't need multiple controllers, just plug up to 3 pumps in and they all work. Well, not so fast. As soon as your single pump breaks, the module shorts out leaving you to guess what just happened. To help matters further, the power supply for the 1Link module blinks and makes a hissing sound non-stop. I almost purchased a new power supply thinking that was it, before figuring out it was the pump.

Long story, I know, but unfortunately Neptune WAV is this year's vertex cerebra.

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, and that was my last Neptune product to stockpile for a future build...

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their stuff ain't cheap by any stretch. I don't mind shelling out for something that's good quality. But if there's issues, they should resolve them.

I couldn't agree more. I prefer to spend money on a company that stands by their product.

I’ve previously decided to skip the Trident and COR because of these issues.

Good call it seems.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apple Watch today and it was less than $400. I kept thinking what could I get for $400 in reefing and I can’t think of anything that is more functional then this watch! The amount of money we spend in this hobby is just crazy yet we still get crap from time to time. Today is the first time I am actually considering leaving the hobby. Not because I can’t afford it but because the prices are getting out of control.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny mine just did that, stopped working out of the blue. One went out then 2 weeks later the other went out. Unfortunately I was just outside the warranty range and they only offered me a 30% discount so it sounds like even the discount varies. I did send my 1 link back as well and they said it had no problems. The customer service was good but I thought a set of 400$ pumps should last longer then 2 years. I clean my pumps spotless every 2 months so I know it wasn't that. I did go ahead and buy 2 more and just received them yesterday so will install them tomorrow. It was kind of odd though, they didn't come in a sealed new package box, they showed up in a box with the onelink, loosely packed in peanuts so I am not sure if these are the old broken ones or a new set.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny mine just did that, stopped working out of the blue. One went out then 2 weeks later the other went out. Unfortunately I was just outside the warranty range and they only offered me a 30% discount so it sounds like even the discount varies. I did send my 1 link back as well and they said it had no problems. The customer service was good but I thought a set of 400$ pumps should last longer then 2 years. I clean my pumps spotless every 2 months so I know it wasn't that. I did go ahead and buy 2 more and just received them yesterday so will install them tomorrow. It was kind of odd though, they didn't come in a sealed new package box, they showed up in a box with the onelink, loosely packed in peanuts so I am not sure if these are the old broken ones or a new set.

Ouch. Sorry. You shouldn’t have to go through that.

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was kind of odd though, they didn't come in a sealed new package box, they showed up in a box with the onelink, loosely packed in peanuts so I am not sure if these are the old broken ones or a new set.

So you had the privilege to buy your failed pumps back, although with a 30% discount? Sweet Customer Service! <note the obvious sarcasm>

They should have, at least, included some documentation on the replacements. And what warranty do those have?

I hope Neptune monitors threads like this...

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back to the hobby after a nice break. I used GHL 8-10 years ago. It was great. And they've come out with new products over time (not many) but really good ones. Tells me they take time to make sure there product is working.

Neptune seams more like make it and kinda sort the kinks along the way. All about the money kinda company.

From what I see 99.99% of people do what they do for a living for money. Very few of us go out and do everything in our power to make perfect. It's all about how many people can I employ to do an acceptable job, and make the most money.

Everybody wants the easy way. The no hard work way.

A lot of people get really rich just cause they are really good at sales. (Marketing)

Neptune!!! You and your products are garbage!!!

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s kinda sketchy... I’d expect a new one in a retail package.

Couldn't agree more.

So you had the privilege to buy your failed pumps back, although with a 30% discount? Sweet Customer Service! <note the obvious sarcasm>

They should have, at least, included some documentation on the replacements. And what warranty do those have?

I hope Neptune monitors threads like this...

I am sure they do. I would also expect to receive brand new replacements, not something that was re-manufactured and thrown into a box.

I just got back to the hobby after a nice break. I used GHL 8-10 years ago. It was great. And they've come out with new products over time (not many) but really good ones. Tells me they take time to make sure there product is working.

Neptune seams more like make it and kinda sort the kinks along the way. All about the money kinda company.

From what I see 99.99% of people do what they do for a living for money. Very few of us go out and do everything in our power to make perfect. It's all about how many people can I employ to do an acceptable job, and make the most money.

Everybody wants the easy way. The no hard work way.

A lot of people get really rich just cause they are really good at sales. (Marketing)

Neptune!!! You and your products are garbage!!!

I wouldn't consider all Neptune products garbage. I have the Apex - and I was a fanboy. I got the DOS as soon as it came out - had issues with it, Neptune stepped up and took care of them. With WAV and COR - my expectation is that they need to last. These are the pumps that keep our animals alive. Imagine an SPS heavy tank and both WAVs stop working cause one died while you are on vacation? Where's the redundancy? Not to even mention every single Jebao I have are going strong after 4 years on my other systems. But my high-end equipment system breaks. Lesson learned.

And to touch upon customer service. Good companies, even when they release a shady product take care of their customers, as they want to retain them. That's not the case here, and I already canceled my Apex 2016 and COR 20 orders from my LFS. Only way companies learn how they should treat customers is by losing sales.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running my WAVs and 1Link since they came out. I've had to replace the props in each (Once for free from Neptune, and the other was $20 or so again from Neptune). I dont find that to be anything out of the ordinary - chalk it up to normal wear and tear on something that is literally running constantly.My 1Link is running both WAVs and my DOS without any glitches either. I can appreciate that some people havent had good interactions with the company, but I havent. I would recommend the WAVs and the 1Link and would continue to do so :D

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more.

I am sure they do. I would also expect to receive brand new replacements, not something that was re-manufactured and thrown into a box.

I wouldn't consider all Neptune products garbage. I have the Apex - and I was a fanboy. I got the DOS as soon as it came out - had issues with it, Neptune stepped up and took care of them. With WAV and COR - my expectation is that they need to last. These are the pumps that keep our animals alive. Imagine an SPS heavy tank and both WAVs stop working cause one died while you are on vacation? Where's the redundancy? Not to even mention every single Jebao I have are going strong after 4 years on my other systems. But my high-end equipment system breaks. Lesson learned.

And to touch upon customer service. Good companies, even when they release a shady product take care of their customers, as they want to retain them. That's not the case here, and I already canceled my Apex 2016 and COR 20 orders from my LFS. Only way companies learn how they should treat customers is by losing sales.

Neptune could learn from Ecotech and Kessil in the Customer service. Either of those products fail and they stand behind it 100% and sure as heck don’t just offer a stinking 30% discount. I have my Apex and that is the only product I will ever buy from Neptune after reading these comments

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been running my WAVs and 1Link since they came out. I've had to replace the props in each (Once for free from Neptune, and the other was $20 or so again from Neptune). I dont find that to be anything out of the ordinary - chalk it up to normal wear and tear on something that is literally running constantly.My 1Link is running both WAVs and my DOS without any glitches either. I can appreciate that some people havent had good interactions with the company, but I havent. I would recommend the WAVs and the 1Link and would continue to do so :D

I am glad yours are working for you, I trully am. You don't have to go through what I am going through. Again, just wanted to mention - my impellers are perfect. I haven't had to replace any. If you clean them regularly as I do, they should last a long long time. But the pump itself is dead as a brick. If it was a $20 fix, I wouldn't even bother writing. Shipping alone to send it back to Neptune was that, even though both me and Neptune knew ahead of time it was the same issue as plenty of others are reporting and pumps need replacement.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a loyal Apex Classic user. But I do not believe in the entire single branded ecosystem concept. If one thing goes out, it could potentially crash your system like a house of cards. Thus I use a Tunze ATO & return, Vortech pumps & BRS dosers. All of your eggs in one basket is rarely a good thing IMO.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start off by saying, I too am a loyal apex user and I think for the most part their products are great. I have had my all apex system for going on 7 years now with very few issues. Even the WAVs performed great when they were working, they really move some water and the adjustability is fantastic. But back on topic, after an inspection of the new pumps they sent me, the impellers look like they are my old ones and the magnets are definatly my old ones (you can still see some coralline on them and they are stuck together with the cardboard between them that I cut out LOL). The pump motor is new though (different serial number). I went back to my original ticket and asked about this and was told that they might have used my original impeller and magnets because there was nothing wrong with them. I told them that I wasnt happy about this as I had purchased a new pump (albeit at 30%off) and expected to get all new parts. Impellers wear, the nubs on the magnet mounts wear, the O-rings on the mounts wear. If I was going to get a refurbished pump it should have been way more than 30%off. I will keep you informed as to where this goes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back