Steamer clams in sump?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 predator tank with a puffer and eel. From time to time I buy a couple of oysters, mussels, clams, etc. It's good for the puffers teeth and every one seems to like it.

Today I bought 3 steamer clams. I opened one up and the puffer devoured it. Usually I leave them in the fridge, but this time I put them in the sump. I was surprised to see them both wide open with the necks extended. They are very much alive because as soon as I touched them they closed up.

Of course this got me thinking, will these be good filter feeders? Should I get more and toss one in the tank from time to time?

Do steamer clams need light like a deresa (or other fancy clams)? Can I put some in my reef tank (no predators but would help with nutrients)?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will most likely die after a short time. They are most likely a cooler wayer clam that lives in the sand and is a heavy filter feeder. There is normally not enough food in our closed system tanks to support these animals long term, at least not without heavy phyto feeding.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only photosynthetic organism are net user of nutrients. All non-photosynthetic animals are net producer of nutrients.
I keep clams and oysters in my sump to keep them fresh so I can feed my tank, not use them as filter. I get oysters from Corpus Christi bay and put them in my sump. They do live there for a long time, weeks. I think my fish love fresh oyster much better than the frozen ones. I think it is healthier for them too.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a day and they seem happy as a clam [emoji4]. I picked one up to see if it was alive and it started squirting water. I guess it was alive!

I am not planning on keeping them long term, like you said, I'm using them to feed the fish. I just thought it would be better to put them in the water other than slowly dying in the cold fridge.

I know that they produce waste, but I also think that they are eating some fine particles out of the water. I have a ton of feathers in the sump so something is in the water.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a day and they seem happy as a clam [emoji4]. I picked one up to see if it was alive and it started squirting water. I guess it was alive!

I am not planning on keeping them long term, like you said, I'm using them to feed the fish. I just thought it would be better to put them in the water other than slowly dying in the cold fridge.

I know that they produce waste, but I also think that they are eating some fine particles out of the water. I have a ton of feathers in the sump so something is in the water.
Buy more than 3 and the grocery clerks might think you have a date! :D

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how long the neck gets! Super creepy!
20180703_195749.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back