Steps to complete a successful Fallow period?

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 260 Fowler and have been “managing” ich since the birth of the tank 5 years ago. The last outbreak which was 1 of 4 in 5 years left me in pieces and pushed me to undertake the huge task of running the tank fallow while treating/holding 20 fish in 3 separate tanks. Angels, Tangs, and wrasses to be specific so sensitive fish for sure. I am on day 47 so a little over half way but plan to go for at least 90 days to ensure all cysts are gone. I have a lot of sand and rock so I’d rather play it safe especially after the massive amount of work it’s been to set up and maintain this period. All 3 tanks were dosed with copper power and ramped up slowly. They were all maintained at therapeutic levels (Hanna) 1.69-2.10 for 29 days. One angel in 1 of 3 tanks got a weird bacterial infection and dosed it with the “triple threat” but did not clear it up. Started NFP treatment for 14 days and it cleared up and this is all during the 29 day copperpower period. The copper period in all tanks, which all started and ended at the same time, is over and now just observing to ensure the ich is gone. The first day I did a water change without adding new copper I saw my blue tang itching repeatedly. Checked the water after the first copper-less water-change and the copper was at 1.41. I know When we itch our skin it doesn’t necessarily mean that we have bedbugs or fleas. Fish can itch or scratch too and it doesn’t mean it’s ich right? I didn’t see any fish scratch at all after 14 days of copper and literally the day after I ramp it down (29 dAys) he scratched repeatedly for a few minutes. Obviously going to observe the three aquariums while the fallow period continues. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to see if there was something that I am missing to complete a successful fallow period and never have to deal with parasites ever again[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]
Please give it to me raw mean or nice I just want my tank back and finally do things exactly by the book so I can truely enjoy this hobby and not stress over the well-being of my aquatic dawgs. Thank you and look forward to your thoughts, advices, and even criticism.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right track.

The one fish scratching... Could be nothing or it could be something that isn't treatable by copper such as flukes. Have you dipped any of your fish in FW to see if the little boogers are present?

OP
OP
Fowler freak

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right track.

The one fish scratching... Could be nothing or it could be something that isn't treatable by copper such as flukes. Have you dipped any of your fish in FW to see if the little boogers are present?

Negative I have not. Before the qt/holding period they all received a 1.5 hour Rally bath..........

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back