Steps to treat possible brook

luke42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We finally got our UV up and running so thought we would try to start tangs. Introduced 3 to our 180 gallon. One of them was a very skinny mimic tang. After 3 weeks, we never saw him again so assumed he had passed. LFS said we had a huge cleanup crew so monitor levels but do not tear apart tank to search for him. A week later we noticed some spots on the bristletooth. He died 2 days later. That same day our Blue spot anthias died and our clown fish was hiding under our huge devil hand so I could not get a good look at her. She died a couple days later. That day our engineer goby came out and looked like it was struggling and looked like it was shedding. Gathered him up and took to LFS along with water sample. They said if they had to guess it was Brook and water was perfect. Told us to pull remaining fish (5 chromis, 1 clown, sailfin, orange back fairy wrasse, fire fish, mandarin dragonet, pink spot goby, coral beauty, filefish) and treat with formalin but the treatment would probably kill them all, and to go fallow for 4 weeks. While trying to set up a large enough tank to put them all for treatment it has now been a week. No fish are showing any signs of disease so my questions are: was it brook? Is there anyway to treat without more than likely killing them since they do not appear ill? Sailfin might have a couple little speckles in him.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use paraguard instead of formalin for brook. Some like Rally Pro.

Do you have any pics?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving forward, I would QT all fish. A UV isn't going to save their lives when it comes to parasites with a high host mortality rate.

OP
OP
luke42

luke42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3340.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We finally got our UV up and running so thought we would try to start tangs. Introduced 3 to our 180 gallon. One of them was a very skinny mimic tang. After 3 weeks, we never saw him again so assumed he had passed. LFS said we had a huge cleanup crew so monitor levels but do not tear apart tank to search for him. A week later we noticed some spots on the bristletooth. He died 2 days later. That same day our Blue spot anthias died and our clown fish was hiding under our huge devil hand so I could not get a good look at her. She died a couple days later. That day our engineer goby came out and looked like it was struggling and looked like it was shedding. Gathered him up and took to LFS along with water sample. They said if they had to guess it was Brook and water was perfect. Told us to pull remaining fish (5 chromis, 1 clown, sailfin, orange back fairy wrasse, fire fish, mandarin dragonet, pink spot goby, coral beauty, filefish) and treat with formalin but the treatment would probably kill them all, and to go fallow for 4 weeks. While trying to set up a large enough tank to put them all for treatment it has now been a week. No fish are showing any signs of disease so my questions are: was it brook? Is there anyway to treat without more than likely killing them since they do not appear ill? Sailfin might have a couple little speckles in him.
Please provide pics and even video under white lighting before any remedy is suggested. It can be many things

OP
OP
luke42

luke42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish passed a week ago so I do not have a way to get different lighting, sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read your post, in my head I was thinking ich until I read at the end that 13 fish survived - ich just doesn’t do that. Brooklynella is more host specific, but it would have taken out your other clown.

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?

Jay

OP
OP
luke42

luke42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read your post, in my head I was thinking ich until I read at the end that 13 fish survived - ich just doesn’t do that. Brooklynella is more host specific, but it would have taken out your other clown.

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?

Jay
Here is a pic of the Sailfin that is the only one that I can see has marks. The blue lights were still on. I did turn them off for the video. I have a few more fish I could not get on video because they hid. No fish even up to their death showed any signs of rapid or labored breathing.

IMG_3362.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3369.mov
    40.3 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the Sailfin that is the only one that I can see has marks. The blue lights were still on. I did turn them off for the video. I have a few more fish I could not get on video because they hid. No fish even up to their death showed any signs of rapid or labored breathing.

IMG_3362.jpeg
Thanks - the tang has ich. Oddly, the fish in the video don’t show ich trophonts. It may be that moving the fish temporarily slowed down the infection.
Going forward, watch for trophonts on the fish - white spots that come and go, but generally increase in numbers over time. The best treatment is coppersafe or hyposalinity, but those cannot be done with invertebrates in the tank.
Jay

OP
OP
luke42

luke42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - the tang has ich. Oddly, the fish in the video don’t show ich trophonts. It may be that moving the fish temporarily slowed down the infection.
Going forward, watch for trophonts on the fish - white spots that come and go, but generally increase in numbers over time. The best treatment is coppersafe or hyposalinity, but those cannot be done with invertebrates in the tank.
Jay
Ok I will treat them all for ich in a Fish only tank. The engineer goby was the only one that had a shedding look which is why they thought brook. Do you think it could have been been ich as well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will treat them all for ich in a Fish only tank. The engineer goby was the only one that had a shedding look which is why they thought brook. Do you think it could have been been ich as well?
Could be, late stage ich causes fish to create more mucus (so does Brook).
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back