Stereonephthya Keepers Thread

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, did some talking to the biologist about Litophyton/nephthea. The reason why they are now in the same group is that genetic testing showed they were the same species so they took the oldest name, which was litophyton, and combined it. So, I'm going to take some photos of what honestly looked to me like stereonephthya on DD, but the polyps just don't look right, and send them out and see if it gets the Lito vote or stereo vote. It won't surprise me if even the ones that look like stereo are litophyton. The big reason why is, the mariculture corals are tied down and then they grow to the rock. Stereo normally disintegrates in that situation and vanishes into tiny bits.
But, since it is possible for stereo to cooperate, I can't say for sure that's a defining factor. The polyps have also bothered me on these specimens. (I managed to snag a couple, since everyone thinks they are stereo they don't stick around long). Will be interesting to see what consensus I get.

Coachp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, did some talking to the biologist about Litophyton/nephthea. The reason why they are now in the same group is that genetic testing showed they were the same species so they took the oldest name, which was litophyton, and combined it. So, I'm going to take some photos of what honestly looked to me like stereonephthya on DD, but the polyps just don't look right, and send them out and see if it gets the Lito vote or stereo vote. It won't surprise me if even the ones that look like stereo are litophyton. The big reason why is, the mariculture corals are tied down and then they grow to the rock. Stereo normally disintegrates in that situation and vanishes into tiny bits.
But, since it is possible for stereo to cooperate, I can't say for sure that's a defining factor. The polyps have also bothered me on these specimens. (I managed to snag a couple, since everyone thinks they are stereo they don't stick around long). Will be interesting to see what consensus I get.
Good read. im opting that my purchase from DD wasn't a stereo. I put the remains and what was in the bag through my micron sieves and never found any sclerites.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something to contemplate. I purchased this as a stereo from DD. It did fine for a few months then one morning I found it laying on top of a large mushroom. It was totally deflated. This was in November. I figured that it would disintegrate. I moved it to another area of the tank. As of today, it still looks like a deflated leather.
IMG_1185.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 99% sure that is scleronephthea. Stereo polyps would not retract like that.

P.s. it's non photosynthetic and you're unlikely to keep it alive unless you customize your tank for it. Look at it at night and see if those polyps get any fuzz. It maybe too far gone though.

Here is something to contemplate. I purchased this as a stereo from DD. It did fine for a few months then one morning I found it laying on top of a large mushroom. It was totally deflated. This was in November. I figured that it would disintegrate. I moved it to another area of the tank. As of today, it still looks like a deflated leather.
IMG_1185.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying Litophyton:

I snagged this photo off of DD tonight. It's labeled as stereonephthya. It has more traits of Litophyton than any stereonephthya. I'm going to point out some obvious litophyton traits so that hopefully if you buy any in the future you'll know what you're getting.

Litophyton characteristics on this specimen

Polyps: Dense, small, clustered at the tips of branches.
Body: Dense, doesn't look translucent.
Shape: Distinctive "tree" shape. Smooth trunk, defined branches.
Sclerites: more visible in the tips of the branches, get smaller into specks towards the trunk. Lots of space in between them because they get smaller.
Color: All the same color no distinction between body and polyps. This can happen in stereo as well, but usually there will be some color differences you just have to look close.

In my non-expert opinion I am very confident this is litophyton and not stereonephthya.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 6.01.06 PM.png

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't care what the coral is, as long as it photosynthetic, pretty and easy to care for. My 2 stereos and japanese tree, and my kenyan tree (capnella) green and blues fit that bill. I'd like to get a classic colt, but they are hard to find.
I'm hoping Dr. Dendro will start selling some of his maricultured site and pacific clams soon:)))

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't care what the coral is, as long as it photosynthetic, pretty and easy to care for. My 2 stereos and japanese tree, and my kenyan tree (capnella) green and blues fit that bill. I'd like to get a classic colt, but they are hard to find.
I'm hoping Dr. Dendro will start selling some of his maricultured site and pacific clams soon:)))
I'm taking care of some stereonephthya for a relative in my little 7.5 gallon nano. And the sump is 4 gallons. I have six oysters in the sump Pacific oysters and one in the display tank and it looks like the stereonephthya with the dendronephthya like a little dirty water. I think that's their fetish.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking care of some stereonephthya for a relative in my little 7.5 gallon nano. And the sump is 4 gallons. I have six oysters in the sump Pacific oysters and one in the display tank and it looks like the stereonephthya with the dendronephthya like a little dirty water. I think that's their fetish.

I tried getting those pacific oysters, but they never got back to me.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I got it from Reef Raft here in Canada. They call it the 'periwinkle'. Anyways, in the short time i've had it, the growth has been substantial!

Attachments

• IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4460.jpg
    IMG_4460.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 55

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Very sure that's not stereo. Litophyton maybe?
See how the polyps roll in rather than fold like a Swiss army knife? And how the round off instead of remaining defined?

What does it feel like when you touch it?

In the bag, pics once it is settled, thinking stereo?! :)

DSC_0002 (1024x683).jpg
In the bag, pics once it is settled, thinking stereo?! :)

DSC_0002 (1024x683).jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I got it from Reef Raft here in Canada. They call it the 'periwinkle'. Anyways, in the short time i've had it, the growth has been substantial!

I'd have to see a picture in better light but looks like litophyton maybe?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back