Stereonephthya Keepers Thread

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the blue Solomon tree from Cultivated Reef under coral plus and 50% blue Kessel and then 10K and white kessel. I also did a shot next to one of the pink japanese nepthea I have so you can see the color difference.

Bluecap1.jpg Bluecap2.jpg bluecap4.jpg Bluecap5.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the blue capnella that I got from @p@blo. It is actually bluer under white light than the blue Solomon tree but lighter blue (blue just not as dark) under 15K. It's almost tripled in size since I got it.

Both capnella types are very unique and equally lovely. Side note: Capnella don't have visible sclerites.

Bluecap3.jpg

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf.org use to have these about 22 years ago. They called them Lemnalia? http://www.garf.org/lemn02/1000.shtml They have a section on their care. I would love a yellow or red one. Have never seen one for sale since. Plenty of dyed Kenyan tree out there. If anyone can PM me if they have one for sale or a link that would be great. Thanks!

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can almost promise it's not lemnalia. If it is you'd know as soon as you took it out of the tank. Apparently lemnalia has a horrific, and I do mean horrific, smell. The people who studied it literally named whatever it it is it excretes something along the lines of puke + fancy latin word.
It also apparently slimes snot thick substance if you cut it.
I never knew that myself till I talked with someone who studied the stuff. And apparently the odor is so pungent even if you store it in a closed box in a fridge, the odor will soak into your ice-cream located in the freezer.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can almost promise it's not lemnalia. If it is you'd know as soon as you took it out of the tank. Apparently lemnalia has a horrific, and I do mean horrific, smell. The people who studied it literally named whatever it it is it excretes something along the lines of puke + fancy latin word.
It also apparently slimes snot thick substance if you cut it.
I never knew that myself till I talked with someone who studied the stuff. And apparently the odor is so pungent even if you store it in a closed box in a fridge, the odor will soak into your ice-cream located in the freezer.

I knew a girl like that in college. J/k. Learn something everyday here on reef2reef. probably explains why you don't see Lemnalia
in the hobby.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew a girl like that in college. J/k. Learn something everyday here on reef2reef. probably explains why you don't see Lemnalia
in the hobby.

Oh you see it labeled lemnalia, saltwater fish carries a tree coral they call that but it's not I'm sure. People would be returning it or saying it's rotten when they opened the bags. It's most likely some variation of litophyton but it's hard to tell when you can't examine the polyps and stems.
I really wish some of these places would take decent photos. I swear if it's a soft coral, they don't even care if the camera is in focus.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on the left looks like it might be an umbuellate colony. Do you have more angle shots available?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back