Stereonephthya Keepers Thread

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wholesaler with eye issues, he's dealing with right now . I know he gave me some in the past, cause they look like the pictures. I didn't even know. They looked exactly the same. Especially when open full

I do know he has good contacts for Australia.
The issue I had with one's in picture was to much flow
@MixedFruitBasket

Screenshot_2019-11-28-12-28-05.png

Think he’ll ever recover and go back to importing?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think he’ll ever recover and go back to importing?
I think he still is importing, but I'm giving him some time. Then I'll bug him. Keep you posted
If anyone deals with transhipers(wholesaler) , company is New Age Aquatics. Lennard owner. Goes by Sir Len

Last edited:

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he still is importing, but I'm giving him some time. Then I'll bug him. Keep you posted
If anyone deals with transhipers(wholesaler) , company is New Age Aquatics. Lennard owner

Can you PM me an area to look at. I found a couple hits on that and at least one is closed down.

Thanks

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking with an instagram member right now, he's getting this, I haven’t Google info on it, yet
Blue Solomon tree, @MixedFruitBasket should love

Screenshot_2019-11-30-11-15-18-2.png

LOL. You know me so well :) I got a frag of that about a month ago--and I LOOOOVE it. Thank you SO much for thinking of me though. It helps me keep a look out for stuff I'm wanting :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stereonephthya are not the most common coral out there and I have only seen a few varieties in all my years of reefing. I have always enjoyed Stereonephthya corals as they looks so much like nonphotosynthetic dendronephthya. I wanted to start this thread for Stereonephthya keepers to post their specimens so we can see the variety of colors we have out there. Please share your care tips, sources for frags, and pictures.

I got a frag of a yellow and cream colored Stereonephthya over a year ago and have two colonies in my main display. I will be starting to make some frags in the near future. I am always on the lookout for new varieties.

General Care: This coral is not picky but seems to grow better in higher flow which allows it to catch more food when I feed the fish.
Lighting: Low-Medium High 75-250 PAR under T5-LED combo
Flow: Medium-High

Pictures: I took most of these pictures with the blues still on or using a flash. I will try to take some pictures without the blues on which show off the colors of this coral better.

Colonies
20190907_182905.jpg

Closeups
20181112_190505.jpg

-1663267575_20181112_190505_2759202.jpg

Polyps Closed
20190907_182952.jpg
Lookie.. lookie.... deep water Japanese Nephthea, I would confuse it for Scleronephthya, its beautiful

Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-07-40-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-07-23-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-05-48-1.png

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same as the "Koji wada" from unique corals?

Yes and no. I have two from unique. They are different species of coral but called the same thing.the stock coral doesn’t have darker polyps where as the what you see what you get ones they’ve put out on occasion do. Both are lovely.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal opinion the variation Marine Farmers has aka P@blo is the most stunning with its beautiful sclerites and coloring. His is different from unique corals as well.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookie.. lookie.... deep water Japanese Nephthea, I would confuse it for Scleronephthya, its beautiful

Yes. Very easy to do. I have a feeling it happens way more than we realize even with expert eyes. Thank you for posting. Makes me love sick for the ones in my own tank. They are pretty enough to make your heart hurt. :) I swear people who disregard soft corals have no idea what they’re missing. And the whole “soft corals are for beginners” is bull. I’ve had an easier time keeping lps and some sps than keeping soft corals happy and healthy.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Very easy to do. I have a feeling it happens way more than we realize even with expert eyes. Thank you for posting. Makes me love sick for the ones in my own tank. They are pretty enough to make your heart hurt. :) I swear people who disregard soft corals have no idea what they’re missing. And the whole “soft corals are for beginners” is bull. I’ve had an easier time keeping lps and some sps than keeping soft corals happy and healthy.
Don't be stingy, share some Photos, I asked banaka to send, kept talking about yellow one with red, and others,,no photos from him . I can see sclerites on photos above so sign not scleronephthya. Thanks for enlightening us.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be stingy, share some Photos, I asked banaka to send, kept talking about yellow one with red, and others,,no photos from him . I can see sclerites on photos above so sign not scleronephthya. Thanks for enlightening us.

Yes. I promise I'll send photos and show examples. Because the three different kinds have three different types of sclerites ranging from barely noticeable to stunning.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-07-40-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-07-23-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-02-20-05-48-1.png

I picked up a similar one from Marine farmers. I will try to do a night time photo session with the new one as it really is stunning under white light.

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with that thought in its entirety! I mean to each their own, however, I dont see how someone can skip over the beauty of softy... Glad we share the same thoughts MFB

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I have two from unique. They are different species of coral but called the same thing.the stock coral doesn’t have darker polyps where as the what you see what you get ones they’ve put out on occasion do. Both are lovely.

Interesting. Yeah, I have the one from Unique (got it from Manhattan aquariums, same company) and love it. Frags easy, hardy and is more beautiful than any sps in my tank.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. You know me so well :) I got a frag of that about a month ago--and I LOOOOVE it. Thank you SO much for thinking of me though. It helps me keep a look out for stuff I'm wanting :)
I've been eyeing that one- can you say a bit about what you like about it? How is the color?

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eyeing that one- can you say a bit about what you like about it? How is the color?

It’s very healthy with beautiful polyps. I’ll take a picture so you can see the color. It’s not like a blinding blue but it is definitely blue like a slate blue. The polyps are burgundy with hints of green. I’m very happy with it and can’t wait for it to get some size.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back