Sterilizer

Jack Milam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
installing a UV sterilizer What’s the best way to determine how much flow you have running through it. Installing on a manifold

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 different circumstances requiring different flows (or selecting the right size UV to handle both). To damage/eliminate algae issues (dinos for ex) you need to have at least 8x flow to get ahead of reproduction rate and have at least 30,000 uw/cm2 exposure (the vendor should have the specs). To eliminate pathogens (ich/velvet) exposure at least 90,000 uw/cm2 (and some list up to 120,000 or more). So you'll have to do a little math on the flow rate at the different exposure rate (it's linear calculation so fairly straight forward - flow is proportional to exposure) to determine size you need.

You can go with one and a variable speed pump or big enough UV and fixed flow to cover both (8x flow at higher exposure rate - that becomes impractical with very large tanks) or two separate UVs and pumps (but who's going to do that, right?).

Manifold isn't optimal but it'll work. You're only taking a portion of tank flow so exposure rates are lower. Best to put in direct return line or closed loop. If have to be manifold maximize flow.

OP
OP
Jack Milam

Jack Milam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without some type of controller How do you determine how much flow you are actually running through the UV. I want to use it for parasite control

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gallon jug on the outlet of the flow and a stop watch and do math. I have a controller and still do that. Flow meters are not that accurate unless new and clean (and how long does that last) so hasn't been a priority of mine until I hear more positive reviews.

Guess I'm big on 'doing math' reading last couple posts. Good thing you didn't ask me about heaters. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back