Sterilizing Equipment?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to take a powerhead out of a tank that had disease and let it dry, how long until it would be completely sterile? Thank you.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also give it a vinegar bath while it's out of the tank. Let is soak for a day, then give it a good cleaning. Let it dry for a day or two and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also give it a vinegar bath while it's out of the tank. Let is soak for a day, then give it a good cleaning. Let it dry for a day or two and you should be good to go.
Say if equipment was sitting out for a week dry, would everything have died?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say if equipment was sitting out for a week dry, would everything have died?

It just has to dry entirely to kill the things you are worried about. The problem with powerheads is there are lots of little crevices where water can get stuck and it may take some time to dry completely. I usually put equipment like that in the hottest water that I can get out of my tap, let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then let it dry as thoroughly as possible.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd second the vinegar bath. The acid will kill the undesirables while also thoroughly cleaning your powerhead back to its brand new shine. I'd recommend 8-24 hours, any more than 24 hours and if there are any rubber seals or gaskets it might affect them.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the more infamous fish diseases are caused by protists which are eukaryotes. I would think that a short exposure to fresh water and drying would be enough to destroy them. But putting the equipment into hot fresh water will not hurt anything. You could also soak the equipment in fresh water with a little bleach. Bleach tends to kill microbes. After the bleach treatment, rinse thoroughly in fresh water and dry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back