Sterilizing large quarantine tanks with vinegar

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if the ratio is out there but I couldn't find it. I have a 90 gallon quarantine tank I wanted to sterilize with vinegar. What should be the ratio of vinegar to FW?

Do I drain the tank with old SW, fill back up with FW and Vinegar, let it run for 24 hours, then drain again and let it dry for 24 hours? or do I need to rinse again with FW after initial sterilization?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The evidence for undiluted vinegar use at room temperatures as an antimicrobial is somewhat limited. In lab settings it’s not an acceptable sanitizer especially when diluted.

I would recommend bleach if possible. In general, 24hrs followed by complete drying will kill most common pathogens we may encounter in a QT.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend using bleach as well. Add some to the 90g tank filled with freshwater and let it run for 24hrs... then drain and let air dry. It doesn't take much bleach...too much and you'll smell it strongly in the room.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will remove most biofilms. My first step.
Vinegar precipitates copper into a harmless form. Step two if copper was in the tank.
Hydrogen Peroxide is my 3rd step if the tank had a particularly nasty parasite like uronema, velvet, etc.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar precipitates copper into a harmless form. Step two if copper was in the tank.
Hydrogen Peroxide is my 3rd step if the tank had a particularly nasty parasite like uronema, velvet, etc.
Just to clarify...you then drain and dry the tank/equipment? Or no?

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I recommend using bleach as well. Add some to the 90g tank filled with freshwater and let it run for 24hrs... then drain and let air dry. It doesn't take much bleach...too much and you'll smell it strongly in the room.
What ratio of bleach to water would you recommend?

What ratio of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide would you recommend per rinse? I'm surprised that bleach won't sterilize uronema or velvet the first round. :eek:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that bleach won't sterilize uronema or velvet the first round.
Bleach probably does sterilize on the first pass. Think of it as a second cleaning with a different cleaner just to make sure. I like how HP makes carbon based material bubble away squeaky clean.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ratio of bleach to water would you recommend?

I typically don't measure the bleach I use...and I haven't attempted to disinfect a tank as big as a 90g, though. I typically only clean 10g or 20g quarantine tanks. But, you probably don't need more than 1-2 cups of bleach added to the water...let it run for 24-48hrs and then drain and let dry. After I empty it and let it air dry, then I usually add vinegar to about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the tank and liberally wipe down all the sides in order to physically clean off any debri or water lines on the glass...vinegar is usually a 50:50 mixture with water...then rinse with regular tap water and let it dry...I typically turn it upside down on a couple of supports (to let air flow into the tank) so dust doesn't settle into it while it is drying.

Back