Sterilizing qt

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am done with my qt, how do I sterilize everything? Can I just give everything a good rinse and then let it all dry and that’s it? Will drying kill off all the disease and parasites that can potentially be in the quarantine tank?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am done with my qt, how do I sterilize everything? Can I just give everything a good rinse and then let it all dry and that’s it? Will drying kill off all the disease and parasites that can potentially be in the quarantine tank?
I dump bleach in my tanks while running and let them continue to run for a few hrs then drain, rinse, drain and dry.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. For some smaller things that won’t get bleached, does air drying kill off diseases like ich, velvet, Brooklynella, etc as well?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apply some elbow grease. Letting it air dry with no attempt to remove any bacteria is just asking for trouble when you need to use the QT stuff again. You might need it in a few days to a few years. I clean mine with Vinegar, then bleach. Dry it thoroughly. I pack everything that is copper infused into the tank and vacuum seal it in a black heavy duty lawn and garden trash bag for the next use.

Presently, I have all my QT equipment in use so I can't show a picture of the stored condition.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am understanding this correctly. Clean so there is no scum or anything built up on the equipment with bleach, vinegar solution, or elbow grease. Then let dry. As long as there is nothing built up and it is wiped down, air drying will kill whatever is left.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's basically it. After I've soaked and cleaned everything and rinsed it several times, I will let it dry out in the sun for a while ...

Back