Sterilizing Quarantine Tank Between Uses?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to sterilize your QT tank between uses? Chances are you will get a fish that has some kind of parasite, and if you treat prophylactically (specifically HotRocks method) then you should eliminate parasites either way.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, if you plop a presumed disease-free fish into the display after medicating the quarantine tank up the wazoo, that there's nothing left in the tank worth sterilizing. In the past I've just put the biomedia or foam pad into some tank water to keep the biofilter alive, replaced the filter floss, toss out the carbon pouch and then drain, wipe, rinse and refill the tank.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, if you plop a presumed disease-free fish into the display after medicating the quarantine tank up the wazoo, that there's nothing left in the tank worth sterilizing. In the past I've just put the biomedia or foam pad into some tank water to keep the biofilter alive, replaced the filter floss, toss out the carbon pouch and then drain, wipe, rinse and refill the tank.
I was planning on not removing biofilter at all, because it will all be medicated again no matter what.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept mine going until I know I’m not buying any fish for a while

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 47 39.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back