Sterilizing Rocks from a Tank With Velvet

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a tank with velvet and am cycling a new tank...I have some really nice rocks covered in coralline that are in the infected tank and I would like to use a couple pieces for my new tank...How can I sterilize them without bleaching the color of the coralline? I was thinking about using an autoclave because everything dies if it gets hot enough. This should do the trick, right? BTW, the pieces aren't very large.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just coral and inverts
Why not just go fallow?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just go fallow?

That's what I'm gonna do...I would really like to use a few of the rocks in there in the new tank I'm setting up. I don't want to contaminate the new tank with those rocks.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm gonna do...I would really like to use a few of the rocks in there in the new tank I'm setting up. I don't want to contaminate the new tank with those rocks.
I was trying to go ahead and set up the new tank without waiting out the other tank's fallow period.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to go ahead and set up the new tank without waiting out the other tank's fallow period.
Well, technically if you don't put anything in the new tank (except for the rock) for the fallow period that should also work.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, technically if you don't put anything in the new tank (except for the rock) for the fallow period that should also work.
Maybe that's the best way...just takes a little patience...I'd hate to buy the first fish for the new tank and have it get infected.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that's the best way...just takes a little patience...I'd hate to buy the first fish for the new tank and have it get infected.
It's a guaranteed method if you wait the full duration, and then you also gain the benefit of the rock being populated with beneficial bacteria as well (with enough rock you can effectively insta-cycle the new tank).

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re able to keep the temp at 81 degrees, 45 days fallow is sufficient.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back