Sterilizing

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is boiling hot water a good alternative to bleach? I really don’t want to use bleach to sterilize my tank.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is boiling hot water a good alternative to bleach? I really don’t want to use bleach to sterilize my tank.
Sterilize it from what?

I use pure bleach to clean my filter socks. Extra rinse cycle in washer, soak in RODI with de-chlorinator, no issues.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with using bleach to sterilize my QT tanks. I dump bleach in the tank along with city water and let it sit for 24+ hours. Then I drain it and let it air dry for 24+ hours.

If you are concerned, let it sit for 48+ hours.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with using bleach to sterilize my QT tanks. I dump bleach in the tank along with city water and let it sit for 24+ hours. Then I drain it and let it air dry for 24+ hours.
What about a DT. I put : chromis in to cycle it. One had Uronema

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I am not sure of, you may need to go about the 72 day rule. Lets see if we can get some others to chime in on this issue.

#reefsquad
@HotRocks
@4FordFamily
Naw uronema isn’t that kind of disease. Once it’s in the tank it’s in it forever which is why I’m restarting the tank since I literally just started the process

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw uronema isn’t that kind of disease. Once it’s in the tank it’s in it forever which is why I’m restarting the tank since I literally just started the process
If you are going to totally restart the tank, then I would go with the bleach route and take it slow. You will have to dump bleach into the tank and let it sit with circulation. Then after 24 to 48 hours, and if you feel it will take longer do so, drain it and let it air dry. The air drying is where the sterilization occurs.

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily
#reefsquad

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it out then let it sit outside for a week dry? No marine critter is going to live dry, baking in the sun for a week. None that I'm aware of anyway

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to totally restart the tank, then I would go with the bleach route and take it slow. You will have to dump bleach into the tank and let it sit with circulation. Then after 24 to 48 hours drain it and let it air dry. The air drying is where the sterilization occurs.
Ok cool, so put a wave maker in there, should I run the hob too? Also how much bleach for a 40g

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, so put a wave maker in there, should I run the hob too? Also how much bleach for a 40g
I just dump a ton, I don't measure. Then after the sterilization, I add more water again to clean it, then I am confident with adding any live stock to the tank. I sterilize anything and everything that was in contact with the tank. ;)

I have had Blue/Green Chromis with Urenema die in a QT tank, and after sterilizing, didn't have any issues.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to totally restart the tank, then I would go with the bleach route and take it slow. You will have to dump bleach into the tank and let it sit with circulation. Then after 24 to 48 hours, and if you feel it will take longer do so, drain it and let it air dry. The air drying is where the sterilization occurs.

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily
#reefsquad
+1 to all of this and use plenty of bleach for maximum cleaning power

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back