Sterlise DT With RODI

hubblephilip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All from across the pond,

I had a rather severe outbreak of ich/velvet which wiped 80% of my fish, the rest are currently in QT being treated with copper and are all doing really well thankfully.

This takes me onto the fallow period, the norm is 72 days as noted by 98% of the reefing community however last night i was having a conversation with someone in the trade that said if i can move my corals to a seperate tank, drained my DT, filled it with RODI and let it run like that for a week or so that will in effect be as effective as the 72 day fallow period?

I'm in no huge rush but if it does work then it is something i would look at doing potentially.

Forgot to add that all the sand, rock and media etc will stay in the tank and then reseeded with colony or dr tims afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil

Hubb's Reef

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the RODI bit, but you can sterilize a tank but just letting it dry out completely and giving it a good wash with hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
H

hubblephilip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the RODI bit, but you can sterilize a tank but just letting it dry out completely and giving it a good wash with hydrogen peroxide.
Should have said that all the rock and sand and media will stay in there then reseeding with colony/dr tims afterwards

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe RODI has any effect on tomonts. It it also possible that the RODI wouldn't reach all nooks of the rock and one could remain untouched, even if RODI did provide some help.

If you need to remove ich and velvet from rock and sand, you need to go fallow or dry it out completely. A recent study @Humblefish posted showed that some tomonts can survive in areas with low oxygen levels beyond the 72 day fallow window. You need to make sure you stir the sand and get lots of flow in the tank during the fallow period.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you removed all livestock and dosed chlorine @ 100ppm for good measure, that will kill everything in the tank: https://dec.vermont.gov/sites/dec/files/dwgwp/DW/chlorinedosageemergencydisinfection.pdf

However, the fish will still need to be treated, and any corals/inverts will need to be housed in a fishless environment for 76 days to eliminate the possibility of tomonts still being attached to them.

Also read this: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/why-a-fallow-period-will-sometimes-fail.571/

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about all the microlife in ur tank that the freshwater will kill? That might cause a new cycle and cause u to lose valuable critters in ur rocks or sand

Back