Steves LEDs Biocube32 light upgrade

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you channel settings?
I bumped them up slowly over time until I got to the following. The whites are pretty strong imo. Everything (Softies, LPS, SPS, and an Anemone) seems to be happy and growing, so I haven't increased them in a while.

Channel 1 (Blue) - 3220(3220/4095 = .786)
Channel 2 (White) - 700 (700/4095 = .1709)

Channel 1 - 78.6%
Channel 2 - 17.1%
Total - 47.85%

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone in this thread help me out. I'm trying to install mine now... The gif links aren't working no response from the company yet...

Here is where I'm at...

The original fan does not stay, correct?

How about the original chip with LCD display? Does that stay or go?

Attachments

• 20210515_195929.jpg
    20210515_195929.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 35

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped them up slowly over time until I got to the following. The whites are pretty strong imo. Everything (Softies, LPS, SPS, and an Anemone) seems to be happy and growing, so I haven't increased them in a while.

Channel 1 (Blue) - 3220(3220/4095 = .786)
Channel 2 (White) - 700 (700/4095 = .1709)

Channel 1 - 78.6%
Channel 2 - 17.1%
Total - 47.85%
How overpowering is the blue with that setting ? I’m at 2600 ch1 and 2425 ch2 and it’s still somewhat blue

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How overpowering is the blue with that setting ? I’m at 2600 ch1 and 2425 ch2 and it’s still somewhat blue
Oh yeah, there is certainly a blueish tint. I personally like how the fish, coral, and rock look under stronger blues. Being able to adjust the daytime spectrum was definitely an advantage to upgrading the BioCube lights for me.

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jskoms, I don't know if you were asking me, but yes, I did get the iridescence booster.

i got it all working...

Now I have to figure out how to get the lights off during the night. It's seems like there is no actual moonlight cycle? It's sunset, but then I can either have moonlight on or off?

can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• 20210516_111502.jpg
    20210516_111502.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 28

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jskoms, I don't know if you were asking me, but yes, I did get the iridescence booster.

i got it all working...

Now I have to figure out how to get the lights off during the night. It's seems like there is no actual moonlight cycle? It's sunset, but then I can either have moonlight on or off?

can anyone confirm?
Hurricane controller, correct? The lights ramp down over time based on what you set in the controller. The final result will be what you have set under - Set PWM (Night) option. There you can set the Channel 1 (Blue) and Channel 2 (White). If you want 0 lights on during the night set both channels to 0. I leave the blues set to 30, and whites 0. The controller does have something called a Moon Phase that does some automatic adjustments based on geolocation. I turned it off in favor of manual settings.

Not sure if you've looked over this link. Page 8 of the PDF has an example setup.

Steves LED Controller Setup

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurricane controller, correct? The lights ramp down over time based on what you set in the controller. The final result will be what you have set under - Set PWM (Night) option. There you can set the Channel 1 (Blue) and Channel 2 (White). If you want 0 lights on during the night set both channels to 0. I leave the blues set to 30, and whites 0. The controller does have something called a Moon Phase that does some automatic adjustments based on geolocation. I turned it off in favor of manual settings.

Not sure if you've looked over this link. Page 8 of the PDF has an example setup.

Ditto, I have both channels set at 0 for night mode. Do you use the cloud function at all? I have yet to play around with that.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s thought on the fan? Mine is extremely loud, thinking about contacting Steve to see if I have a bad one.

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did yes. Just didn't totally get it. Thanks for explaining. I'll try the the blue light at thirty with no white. But I'm thinking there needs to be darkness at some point in the tank?

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, I have both channels set at 0 for night mode. Do you use the cloud function at all? I have yet to play around with that.
Yes. I'm testing it along with the lightning. To be honest, I just saw the lightning in action, my first thought was that my lights were faulting out or something lol. Then I remembered the lightning effect.

The clouds work pretty cool as well. I guess the bigger discussion about this is, are they effects that help the animals feel more comfortable at all? Or is it just pretty to look at?

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s thought on the fan? Mine is extremely loud, thinking about contacting Steve to see if I have a bad one.
I can't really hear my fan unless I'm close to the tank.

My tank is in the next room from where my tv is and I have a small open concept house.

My skimmer on my small tank is probably louder lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back