Sticky blue "stuff"

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some bleach in my Brutte container with an Eheim 1262 pump. It appears the bleach "melted" the prefilter sponge and put blue sticky residue on the container and the hose. A vinegar soak did not help at all. Any suggestions?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but a new Brute container would be my suggestion if you can't get it removed. I'd also suggest using vinager for most of your maintenance cleaning. It works great for most things and is a little more "reef safe" in case of cross-contamination. Just my $.02 anyway.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally find out what the material is that the sponge was made out of. It could very well NOT be an issue considering it was used as a sponge.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but a new Brute container would be my suggestion if you can't get it removed. I'd also suggest using vinager for most of your maintenance cleaning. It works great for most things and is a little more "reef safe" in case of cross-contamination. Just my $.02 anyway.
Thank you. I was afraid that might be the only solution. I use vinegar most of the time, but I was sterilizing the Brute and hose.

I'd personally find out what the material is that the sponge was made out of. It could very well NOT be an issue considering it was used as a sponge.
Thank you. It is sticky and sticks to whatever touches it. yuck. ;Vomit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my salt water up in this container.

If cost is a concern with getting a new one, GAC sitting on the bottom and stirred up when you mix it will likely eliminate most concerns. :)

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is a concern with getting a new one, GAC sitting on the bottom and stirred up when you mix it will likely eliminate most concerns. :)
Thanks Randy. The stickiness of it is my biggest concern. If it touches you it is sooo hard to get off. I will try to wipe it off with muriatic acid or straight bleach today and if it does not come off I will just get a new container. My guess is that the acid won't work because it is some sort of plastic.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back