MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White-light pics are the best!

Why is your tag-line "Military Grade Bryopsis Sniper"? Do you have a Bryopsis outbreak and not GHA?
I had bryopsis early in my tank life, nuked it from orbit with flux, I make it my duty to inform as many as possible about the wonders of flux. 100% sure its not bryopsis.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang and hermit crabs are all my hair algae, emerald helped too. Then again o only had like a small piece on a frag haha. Not too sure but I hear that sea hares eat it. I never had any algae problems with any of my tanks but can anyone confirm the sea hare?

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang and hermit crabs are all my hair algae, emerald helped too. Then again o only had like a small piece on a frag haha. Not too sure but I hear that sea hares eat it. I never had any algae problems with any of my tanks but can anyone confirm the sea hare?
Considered the sea hare but worried about it poisoning my tank if it goes south.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considered the sea hare but worried about it poisoning my tank if it goes south.
Yea I was reading a post in regards to that I wish I had the link but there were a lot of reefers with great input. They said most of the times it released nothing for some people and the ones that did, still it didn’t damage or poison the tank in anyway

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was reading a post in regards to that I wish I had the link but there were a lot of reefers with great input. They said most of the times it released nothing for some people and the ones that did, still it didn’t damage or poison the tank in anyway
Maybe it's time for a bigger tank and some tangs.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can later but I'll have to crank whites on or you'll see nothing.

Import: I feed half cube size of reef frenzy or blood worms every 2 days.

Export: skimmer, chaeto, biweekly wc.

Lights, 11 hour blue 100% white 0% with 1 hour ramp up and ramp down.

Never had dino issues as far as I'm aware, just gha and cyano at one point. Cyano is gone.
Is your chaeto growing? How big is it and how much do you remove/harvest each week or month? What is your refugium light, intensity, and schedule (timing and duration, opposite DT or not)?

How big is each biweekly wc? Is biweekly twice a week or once every two weeks?

What are your parameters? Alk, Ca, magnesium, potassium, salinity, phosphate, & nitrate

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your chaeto growing? How big is it and how much do you remove/harvest each week or month? What is your refugium light, intensity, and schedule (timing and duration, opposite DT or not)?

How big is each biweekly wc? Is biweekly twice a week or once every two weeks?

What are your parameters? Alk, Ca, magnesium, potassium, salinity, phosphate, & nitrate
Bought a cup, probably have 3-4 cups in there. Yet to harvest and had it a few months so it's growing slowly. Lights just An amazon grow light, blue and red light for 12 hours a day at night when my lights are off.

Parameters I'll get you when I get home.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure she wouldn't mind me dumping an extra thousand pods in. Lol
Food Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dude I was battling GHA for a long long time.
What really helped was adding a lot more snails,

but then what totally destroyed it was adding vinegar to my kalkwasser!

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a cup, probably have 3-4 cups in there. Yet to harvest and had it a few months so it's growing slowly. Lights just An amazon grow light, blue and red light for 12 hours a day at night when my lights are off.

Parameters I'll get you when I get home.
How many watts is your fuge light?

For me, my chaeto grew well for months 3-6. I put it in after 3 months (baseball-sized) and it grew to about the size of a basketball. It died in the 6th or 7th month, due to lack of iron. I didn't know chaeto consumes more iron than supplied by regular water changes. I didn't even know what dying chaeto looked like. It looks grey/white, fine, and limp. My tank was flooded with nitrate and phosphate (decomposing chaeto releases everything it consumed). My tank was set back 6-12 months of progress, IMO.

I got new chaeto and started dosing iron. Chaeto hasn't died since (about 2 years now). I dose 3mL of Ferrion a week. I also run GFO sometimes, if the chaeto isn't enough. My tank is 150gal, 5x2x2 and my fuge light is a 40w Kessil H160 Tuna Flora running full intensity (purple/red spectrum). I also added a small powerhead to my fuge to circulate water through chaeto and prevent cyano growing in there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The GHA is a basic algae to battle. Chemicals can work but can cause other issues also. The best recourse is to determine the cause and plan the battle.
Is tank by chance at or near a window?
Are you using RO water or tap water from the faucet?

Green Hair Algae is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae which tend to be simple, and fine in texture. Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and scrubbed off the rock with a toothbrush. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand, use an old credit card and then sift it out with a net. Once you have done this, add some cleaner crew to help finish it off such as carribean blue leg hermits, Cerith snails, Chitons, Turbo grazer snails, conchs, emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few astrea snails.

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making me cry man, I have a copepods farm and I grow phyto lol.

I don't make my water, I get it from lfs so I couldn't tell you.
Oh no no no...dot get water from lfs.. spend some money, get a RO/Di setup that u can hook up to garden hose or something, grab some red sea salt and an extra bucket...make clean water everytime...dont risk the potential of messing up your tank..

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of Cheato can't out compete a tank full of hair algae. Testing won't help. The algae binds N&P as soon as it becomes available so the tests will show 0.

A Sea Hare (Dolabella I think) will work wonders. They like the long hair algae that most grazers don't touch. They aren't very sensitive and won't foul the tank unless that get caught in a pump of something. If you can remove rocks, a scrub with peroxide & a good rinse with tank water will greatly reduce the hair algae for a while and speed the process.

Back