Still cycling day 9 but algea??

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on day 9 which I know the cycles not done. Ammonia hasn't moved in 2 days from 1.0ppm and just saw this in the tank. Algea good sign right?

20210614_215310.jpg 20210614_215244.jpg 20210614_215305.jpg 20210614_215242.jpg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cycling with the lights on? You can leave them off for the cycle (and technically until corals are added).
I believe, that includes sunlight hitting the tank as well.

As for it being good or bad, I'm not sure. So far as I know, the algae doesn't have anything to do with the cycle. If you have the lights on and using food for the ammonia source, I'd wager that's what it's from.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you describe what you put in your new tank?

those are spirobid worms on the black background, and should take a bit longer than 9 days to grow, and need to get introduced into the tank from some external source. not exactly something you would expect to see in a brand new tank.

J.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you describe what you put in your new tank?

those are spirobid worms on the black background, and should take a bit longer than 9 days to grow, and need to get introduced into the tank from some external source. not exactly something you would expect to see in a brand new tank.

J.
Used dry rock and live carib sand. Scrubbed all rock with peroxide and washed in salt water before adding. The tank is a used tank was only down for a few weeks I gave it a rinse prior to fill. Activated carbon bags. Bio balls and floss all new.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cycling with the lights on? You can leave them off for the cycle (and technically until corals are added).
I believe, that includes sunlight hitting the tank as well.

As for it being good or bad, I'm not sure. So far as I know, the algae doesn't have anything to do with the cycle. If you have the lights on and using food for the ammonia source, I'd wager that's what it's from.
I ghost fed a brine shrimp block day one got to get the ammonia up. Havent added anything since except the bacteria's. I have cycled with the lights because I like it lol. Which I knew would cause the algea blooms to come sooner fir the cycle but I thought after the ammonia was gone so I could add cuc

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back