Still struggling with phosphates...

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because either they learned a hard lesson or heard about it. You’re welcome to run 100% and tell us the end results.
What do you mean I can run it at 100%? I recommended not running it much because it can cause Po4 to drop too much. It works if you dont overdue it. I know a few people who have it implemented into their systems just fine.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a skimmer and how big is your tank?
I skim 24/7... My tank measures 200 gallons... live rock displacement... “crap” in my sump displacement. I actually do not know how many actual gallons... I’ve done the math as best I can (without accounting for displacement) and it is roughly 228 gallons.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont wanna take the GFO route you could try Red Sea No3Po4x and see if that helps enough. Thats what I use and keep my levels steady at .09 only problem is eventually in your case you might have to dose nitrates cause it drops both and your nitrates are not that high to begin with. I believe GFO in small doses would help you best, whatever you try I hope it works out for ya.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO definitely wont work faster but it will work way more effectively and you wont have to slow down so much on your feedings. Just once it does start lower it make sure to not continuously run the GFO without testing and bottom out your po4 causing you to get dinos.
That makes sense to me... I watch numbers in my system. I am as close as I can get to a digital system, (and I’m an accountant) ...I kinna like numbers... trace amounts are needed...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I can’t find it... sorry, at this point, scotch is definitely involved : ) (big cheesy grin)

someone up there just said the dry pellets are higher in phosphates than the frozen foods. That kind of blew my mind. I thought the pellets were like... way more nutritional than the frozen foods... is that just wrong?

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been thinking about that... I have a reactor. Randy made a comment that he didn’t think GFO would work faster than PhosGaurd.
I run GFO and carbon in same reactor, I test PO4 then use the BRS calculator to figure how much to blend/mix into my carbon reactor.

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been told... here... that that is a bad idea. The GFO needs to tumble... ?
You have a lot of good info going on here....

May I suggest to continue a treatment and dont switch or add until the treatment you are doing is done or you discontinue said treatment.

Then start your new treatment.

I still think phosgaurd under pressure will give you the results you are looking for.

Our old tank was only 75g but our phos was over .9 and undetectable by the hannah reader. Over a 2 month period we dropped it to .08-.1 with phosgaurd alone. It also doesn't or did not affect any other elements in our tank, which is huge.

Once your rocks and sand stop leaching phos you will see a lower holding point.

Food is huge and pellets are little phos bombs...but I beleive issue you are dealing with is all the left over food and detris releasing frim the rocks and sand.

Since you are already using phos try to put it in the tractor before you switch to gfo and cause yourself more issues.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about that... I have a reactor. Randy made a comment that he didn’t think GFO would work faster than PhosGaurd.
I use phosphate Rx in my 46 bowfront, 4 drops lowers my phosphate from .13 to .07 overnight. I do that maybe once or twice every 2 weeks, depending on test results.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skim 24/7... My tank measures 200 gallons... live rock displacement... “crap” in my sump displacement. I actually do not know how many actual gallons... I’ve done the math as best I can (without accounting for displacement) and it is roughly 228 gallons.
I only run my skimmer when lights out. I only have 60 gallons total volume but I feed fish twice a day, feed corals and clam a couple times a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back