Stinky drain from skim

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the luxury of having a slop sink, so in cold weather, I dump the protein skim down my bathroom sink (instead of cleaning it out with a hose outside). I follow up with liquid plumber or drain-0 to keep it clear of gunk.

But lately, I smell the skim and I can't figure out how to clean it out so it doesn't stink.

any ideas?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the luxury of having a slop sink, so in cold weather, I dump the protein skim down my bathroom sink (instead of cleaning it out with a hose outside). I follow up with liquid plumber or drain-0 to keep it clear of gunk.

But lately, I smell the skim and I can't figure out how to clean it out so it doesn't stink.

any ideas?
I generally run hot water down the drain for 30 seconds after dumping my skim. It seems to help. When's the last time you had the u bend in your pipe cleaned out? Even when using drain o or similar products it doesn't always get everything. I learned that the hard way on my bathroom drain. Used drain o and other products regularly but my shaggy dog wife still managed to clog it up lol

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about putting it in the toilet. just seems easier to clean it out with running water.

I'll have to clean out the U-bend. I never did it before.good idea
It's definitely something to look at like I said we use drain o and other cleaning products on our sink but it still got clogged from my wife in her hair. Long red hair and she sheds worse than a dog lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back