Stock Fluval Evo Light Switch

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success with upgrading the Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 light while keeping the stock hood in place? I cannot go open top with my son and our other animals, but I really would like a better light. My searched have come up dry.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researched the Fluval Evos right before beginning my current build but didn’t see any kind of options that would fit inside the original canopy.

I ended up choosing the smaller version mostly because I was aware of the water condensation with the cover and later upgraded the fixture for a Current Marine Pro which allows for growing SPS (Even though discontinued still available with warranty).... Would installing a light fixture with a custom screen top be an option for you?... I know there are top lids for this particular model.

1366E34E-9939-4E43-969F-5E7303F4A313.jpeg

Best of luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researched the Fluval Evos right before beginning my current build but didn’t see any kind of options that would fit inside the original canopy.

I ended up choosing the smaller version mostly because I was aware of the water condensation with the cover and later upgraded the fixture for a Current Marine Pro which allows for growing SPS (Even though discontinued still available with warranty).... Would installing a light fixture with a custom screen top be an option for you?... I know top lids has one for this particular model.

Best of luck
It could potentially work, but we don’t have a place to run an ATO with a reservoir out of reach of the kid/dogs so the solid top is really assisting with our evaporation currently. The tank isn’t on a traditional stand, we had a dog crate cover built to hold the aquarium as well with a lipped rubber mat underneath.
97220001-0B8D-41E9-B905-ACB741A17E40.jpeg

9AA517B5-110B-41D3-9B7A-818B31E7D033.jpeg

B64A68CF-2C29-4B7C-925A-C8D943891295.jpeg

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, Im pouring 200ml RODI every day and only have 2” space left in the back wall.

I know they are making semi closed screens, maybe one like the screen on the Evo 5?

E3945964-00DE-44D6-BBFD-537BD9146307.jpeg

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, Im pouring 200ml RODI every day and only have 2” space left in the back wall.

I know they are making semi closed screens, maybe one like the screen on the Evo 5?

E3945964-00DE-44D6-BBFD-537BD9146307.jpeg
I’ll look into that further and see if I can find a partially closed one.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success with upgrading the Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 light while keeping the stock hood in place? I cannot go open top with my son and our other animals, but I really would like a better light. My searched have come up dry.

Maybe consider Orbit Marine Aquarium LED as it has a similar footprint. It would require modification of the hood itself and seem to be possible with only slight modification.

I had recalled seeing something a year or so back another reefer wanted to keep the hood on as well and swapped out the light but I was unable to find where that was.

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having the same thoughts. My current plan is to keep stock but add some blue led strips under the hood on a separate timer. It's not really an upgrade, but it'll allow some blues before and after the main lights.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah to bad they just dont have an upgraded light for that little tank. I almost went with one myself. I do like the look of the hood.

I think @reef-rc gave great advice I remimner seeing that thread too when I was in my Evo research mood. I "think" a drimel might to the trink on the hood. I bet you could find a free hood to, as lots of ppl go with the screen top. so if you have a few hood to playwith I bet you can cut out the space needed for the orbit.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah to bad they just dont have an upgraded light for that little tank. I almost went with one myself. I do like the look of the hood.

I think @reef-rc gave great advice I remimner seeing that thread too when I was in my Evo research mood. I "think" a drimel might to the trink on the hood. I bet you could find a free hood to, as lots of ppl go with the screen top. so if you have a few hood to playwith I bet you can cut out the space needed for the orbit.

I have a spare hood if anyone wants one. Just pay shipping and i'll ship it to you. no charge or mark up;).

i have no need for it and it's been sitting in the garage for 2 years still now; heck i'll even give you the lights too. all relatively new.

if interested, pm me.

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this tank and upgraded the light keeping the original hood. I upgraded to the Fluval marine Nano. I just drew around the light and then cut it out. Fitted nicely. You can then get some acrylic to fill the holes either side. I have since upgraded my tank but enjoyed the Evo.

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare hood if anyone wants one. Just pay shipping and i'll ship it to you. no charge or mark up;).

i have no need for it and it's been sitting in the garage for 2 years still now; heck i'll even give you the lights too. all relatively new.

if interested, pm me.
Would you happen to still have that hood?

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to still have that hood?

Unfortunately I do not. Another reefer was looking for one a few months back and had PM me. I am sure someone may have one laying around after they had upgraded their lighting.

kiteski14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this tank and upgraded the light keeping the original hood. I upgraded to the Fluval marine Nano. I just drew around the light and then cut it out. Fitted nicely. You can then get some acrylic to fill the holes either side. I have since upgraded my tank but enjoyed the Evo.

Would you happen to have photos of this or instructions on how you did it? Any chance you still have the fluval marine nano and the hood for the 13.5, very interested!

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to have photos of this or instructions on how you did it? Any chance you still have the fluval marine nano and the hood for the 13.5, very interested!

I just had a look through some old pics. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the nano and modified hood.

I have it in the garage (not setup), I will try and remember to take some pics when I quarantine my next fish.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a look through some old pics. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the nano and modified hood.

I have it in the garage (not setup), I will try and remember to take some pics when I quarantine my next fish.
little bit late to the thread but could you post a photo of the hood modified? Thanks in advance!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back