Stock for 210g

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210g 72"x24"x29". It's 3 months old, cycled, plenty of live rock seeded with copopodes and ampipods that I have been feeding. 3" sand bed. Lots of hiding places in rock work. The top 15" is all open swim room.

I have been building my stock for the tank in my various other tanks over the year and I am about ready to move them into the 210. I am re QT all the fish before going into DT.

This is my stock list

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Pair of Blue Jaw/throat Trigger
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Cromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

I have a 36g sump. Skimmer rated for 350g heavy bio load. All the fish are healthy and thriving currently in all my other tanks. What would you guys advise for placement order? Is this over stocked? If so I will still have plenty of room in my other tanks since most are getting emptied by at least half of their stock. I was planning to release tangs together last of all.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210g 72"x24"x29". It's 3 months old, cycled, plenty of live rock seeded with copopodes and ampipods that I have been feeding. 3" sand bed. Lots of hiding places in rock work. The top 15" is all open swim room.

I have been building my stock for the tank in my various other tanks over the year and I am about ready to move them into the 210. I am re QT all the fish before going into DT.

This is my stock list

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Cromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

I have a 36g sump. Skimmer rated for 350g heavy bio load. All the fish are healthy and thriving currently in all my other tanks. What would you guys advise for placement order? Is this over stocked? If so I will still have plenty of room in my other tanks since most are getting emptied by at least half of their stock. I was planning to release tangs together last of all.
Seems good to me! Probably add the chromis, gobies, and clowns first then foxface! The rest probably up to you since they are all more aggressive

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chromis could work or not: I’ve seen groups hold together, then self destruct: I got no answers …
The dark blue carribean type might hold together longer but as they grow, same issue….

Foxface IME are 70% likely to be good citizens (rough est) …Check out a few horror stories, but most of mine have been good…

I don’t like 6 line wrasses …. maybe sub Longnose Hawk?

Powder blue tangs? Maybe look at/substitute Atlantic Blues? or maybe any of the mimic types…(personal pref. PBT’s can be nasty IME)

Maybe include (or sub in) one of the bristle tooth’s…they almost always get along and they work pretty hard…

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan out the tang introductions carefully. I see the purple and powder blue and get concerned. They ate tones of great threads on this site on tangs and how to populate your tank with them. Blue throats will be in my next tank, they are so cool to watch!

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chromis could work or not: I’ve seen groups hold together, then self destruct: I got no answers …
The dark blue carribean type might hold together longer but as they grow, same issue….

Foxface IME are 70% likely to be good citizens (rough est) …Check out a few horror stories, but most of mine have been good…

I don’t like 6 line wrasses …. maybe sub Longnose Hawk?

Powder blue tangs? Maybe look at/substitute Atlantic Blues? or maybe any of the mimic types…(personal pref. PBT’s can be nasty IME)

Maybe include (or sub in) one of the bristle tooth’s…they almost always get along and they work pretty hard…
You seem to be missing what I am doing here. I already have the fish, I have had most of them for over a year I am not replacing them because you don't like them.

Also Atlantic Blue are same family as PBT and according to the Tang information I have found show me that I should be more concerned with the PBT and Lavender Tang.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan out the tang introductions carefully. I see the purple and powder blue and get concerned. They ate tones of great threads on this site on tangs and how to populate your tank with them. Blue throats will be in my next tank, they are so cool to watch!
I planned on introducing all the tangs at the same time and last. They are currently spread out in different tanks except for the Purple and Naso are together currently. I was planning to do the Blue Throats before the tangs. Was thinking Foxface before the triggers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This is my stock list

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Cromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

@blaxsun mentioned an order for stocking. I have everyone of these tangs and recommended:
Lavender Tang - 3
Purple Tang - 4
Naso Tang - 1
Powder Blue Tang - 5
Blue Hippo tang -2

Powder Blue and purple are known jerks. Lavender not too far behind but Powder blue are Bad once their bad behavior starts

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the PBT is the one I am most concerned with for aggression. Currently the PBT is alone except for the lunar wrasse in a tank. The Purple and Lavendar are both larger and older 5-6" the PBT is almost 4". I got the Naso and Purple at the same time and they have been housed together. Purple is kind of a dick but not near as bad as I have read from others. The Lavender is a bully and chases my Racoon Butterfly all over in their tank when she gets annoyed. I have been going back and forth on getting a Biota Yellow but figured there was already going to be a lot of tension between the Purple, Lavender and PBT. PBT are my all-time favorite, and I always wanted one. When I first got the Lavender, I had not seen them listed much in threads ranking tang aggression but later when I was going to get the PBT found they were both in the same family so more likely to have aggression issues between them. The other tang I always wanted besides the Yellow is an Orange shoulder, but with having the Lavender already I decided to limit myself to either the PBT or the orange shoulder. But I just can't get past the colors of a PBT.

Thanks for the release order.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be missing what I am doing here. I already have the fish, I have had most of them for over a year I am not replacing them because you don't like them.

Also Atlantic Blue are same family as PBT and according to the Tang information I have found show me that I should be more concerned with the PBT and Lavender Tang.

Yes, I see that you did say “re-QT” as opposed to you wanted opinions on initial stocking … Read too fast :oops:

Deleted … sounded rude

Last edited:

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the mollies both males?
I'd get the clowns, mollies and chromis in there first to get the tank ready for the others. The advantage is having fish in there and eating can help if any one fish doesn't take to the tank change. Also in terms of aggression they probably won't harm anything.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get the engineering goby and lunar wrasse in. From there maybe go foxface, trigger pair, then in terms of tangs I don't know the best order as I don't have the proper experience but I would add the 6-line at any point from after the engineering goby and lunar wrasse.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the mollies both males?
I'd get the clowns, mollies and chromis in there first to get the tank ready for the others. The advantage is having fish in there and eating can help if any one fish doesn't take to the tank change. Also in terms of aggression they probably won't harm anything.
The mollies are 2 females 5". That was my thought as well. Start with the mollies, chromis and clowns in first.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 73.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back