stocking 120 how much room is left

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from a biocube 29 to a 120 gallon (standard dimensions) .

I have currently
2 occelaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 juvenile yellow tank
5 mollies
3 bangaii cardinals (also juvies)

The tank looks busy right now, so I probably don't need anymore fish. However, I have a few favorite saltwater fish I might like to add down the road which are:
purple firefish
some kind of fun wrasse like a fairy or McCoskers Flasher
flame angel (I know this might be a coral nipping problem)
green mandarin goby

I'm wonderind if completing this stocking list would leave me overstocked. Really my biggest want is the green mandarin. My corals are also important to me though and I don't want to be playing catch up with high nutrients forever. Any sage 120 owners who can advise on where to stop? Thanks so much!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of that is going to depend on how much live rock you have. You probably have some more room though. Just add one at a time, and keep testing parameters after each addition.

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I have no idea how many pounds of live rock I have. Seems like a fair bit, but definitely not a giant pile. I do have a 30 gallon sump with an 8 x 8x 1 marine pure plate and a bunch of marine pure spheres. So the total system volume is 150. I think adding one at a time and keeping an eye on parameters is great advice. Thank you!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have room for a couple of Bluethroat Triggers in there. Either or both of the wrasses would work I think. Anthias are awesome if you have a great filtration setup and can feed all day. You have plenty of space left for fish as long as you keep up on heavy in heavy out. The six line is the only issue. They can be jerks and make it hard to add new fish.

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The six line is currently pretty young and a model citizen. Hopefully he behaves himself for a bit longer!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add signifantly more fish if you want, assuming nutrient export is decently in order

i'd get rid of the sixline first as they are problems for other wrasses and mandarins

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have space for more fish assuming you have open swim space and plenty of flow in your reef. Make sure your system can handle whatever new bio-load you plan to add. And good luck with that 6-line. Add more fish now before he gets any larger. Once they get to a certain size and comfortability with you reef, they can be brutal to any new inhabitants regardless of their incoming size.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back