OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you could with a liner which is why I didn't. Mine was more of a temporary solution instead of a stocktank and I liked the lookdown so much I just never upgraded to a larger aquarium, until it leaked and I had to.
I think I will go with one of those sleeper pond windows like what people do in their outdoor koi ponds and seal it in with ms290 and silicone

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is going to be Epic!!

are you on the FB plywood aquarium group? if not I would join lots of great info there from people that have built or are building things like this. why not use fiber glass the pond armor then you can have the window and less chance it will leak.
guessing it will cost more tho. but might be worth it in the long run.

I want to do a 10-12'er 500+ gal. in the basement at some point maybe 5 years from now who knows.

are you going to use natural sea water? might as well if you're not to far from the coast.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is going to be Epic!!

are you on the FB plywood aquarium group? if not I would join lots of great info there from people that have built or are building things like this. why not use fiber glass the pond armor then you can have the window and less chance it will leak.
guessing it will cost more tho. but might be worth it in the long run.

I want to do a 10-12'er 500+ gal. in the basement at some point maybe 5 years from now who knows.

are you going to use natural sea water? might as well if you're not to far from the coast.
Cheers, I can use nsw but I live in new zealand, specifically auckland region so that water is pretty cold and the only source of sea water near ish to me is a marina so its a bit yuck. I was going to use 1 80 mil pond liner above a 40 mil above some geotextile fabric instead of using pond armor. Might consider fiberglass but im young and dont have very much money so I'm trying to go the cost effective way and still have large fish. I hear people have success with 80 mil liner so thats what im going with for now but if I save up lots more money I might go fiberglass. I'm not on any fb aquarium group but i do lurk quite a bit around monster fish keepers

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers, I can use nsw but I live in new zealand, specifically auckland region so that water is pretty cold and the only source of sea water near ish to me is a marina so its a bit yuck. I was going to use 1 80 mil pond liner above a 40 mil above some geotextile fabric instead of using pond armor. Might consider fiberglass but im young and dont have very much money so I'm trying to go the cost effective way and still have large fish. I hear people have success with 80 mil liner so thats what im going with for now but if I save up lots more money I might go fiberglass. I'm not on any fb aquarium group but i do lurk quite a bit around monster fish keepers
sounds like a fun project. top down tanks can be cool.
keep us posted.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought triggerfish could be alright with coral?
My picasso throws sand literally all over. If I had corals they would be not doing good. She also bad grabbed corals and thrown them across the tank lol

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to downsize this project, I simply can't afford to properly seal something this size, I will downgrade to a 200x100x35cm tank (180 gallons) made out of glass for now. Also I planned to eventually keep clams in this pond - some fish would have to go, but filling this up with 35 ppt salinity would cost over $450 nzd for me, thats just crazy money so I will go with a full strength saltwater lagoon build, will have a similar idea but on a smaller scale

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to downsize this project, I simply can't afford to properly seal something this size, I will downgrade to a 200x100x35cm tank (180 gallons) made out of glass for now. Also I planned to eventually keep clams in this pond - some fish would have to go, but filling this up with 35 ppt salinity would cost over $450 nzd for me, thats just crazy money so I will go with a full strength saltwater lagoon build, will have a similar idea but on a smaller scale
Sorry about this guys, my new build though will probably be alot nicer aesthetically (also economically) due to being able to affordably keep corals and other animals that need full strength saltwater. Still going to keep the mangrove idea but add corals and clams similar to the georgia aquarium behind the scenes display (img below)
1715388135757.jpeg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 95 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back