Hang on the back refugium vs filter

goose84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a 60 gallon cube that's 24x24x24 in. I've been trying to gather things slowly and a bought a hang on the back filter and a hang on the back for future because my tank is not drilled so I can't have a sump. Come to find out that both the filter and the refugium can't really fit on the tank at the same time where I would like so I was thinking of dropping the refugium. I just happen to be going around on the site to see there were any other options for the refugium and I watched a video where Thomas said he would much rather have a refugium over the filter and that just boggles my mind is that something that would recommend just using the natural live rock in the tank for the biological and having the refugium as somewhat of your only traditional filter or am I missing something

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a 60 gallon cube that's 24x24x24 in. I've been trying to gather things slowly and a bought a hang on the back filter and a hang on the back for future because my tank is not drilled so I can't have a sump. Come to find out that both the filter and the refugium can't really fit on the tank at the same time where I would like so I was thinking of dropping the refugium. I just happen to be going around on the site to see there were any other options for the refugium and I watched a video where Thomas said he would much rather have a refugium over the filter and that just boggles my mind is that something that would recommend just using the natural live rock in the tank for the biological and having the refugium as somewhat of your only traditional filter or am I missing something
Welcome! You could definitely buy a black/non-transparent HOB filter and DIY a LED light and have that be a HOB fuge with chaeto. I'm sure you can find HOB fuges for sale online as well, but likely to be pricey!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
HOB offers mechanical filtration whereas fuge will offer chemical- mechanical and biological filtration

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a 60 gallon cube that's 24x24x24 in. I've been trying to gather things slowly and a bought a hang on the back filter and a hang on the back for future because my tank is not drilled so I can't have a sump. Come to find out that both the filter and the refugium can't really fit on the tank at the same time where I would like so I was thinking of dropping the refugium. I just happen to be going around on the site to see there were any other options for the refugium and I watched a video where Thomas said he would much rather have a refugium over the filter and that just boggles my mind is that something that would recommend just using the natural live rock in the tank for the biological and having the refugium as somewhat of your only traditional filter or am I missing

Just to echo what many have stated there are some solid options out there for HOB overflows that work great. Set it up and stash the refugium in the sump. Plus add more water volume to the tank for a little more stability.

1000001470.gif

Back