Stocking a 20 gallon saltwater tank.

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new to this website but not to fish keeping!
Ive owned a saltwater tank before was 45 gallons when I was younger but its been awhile dang thing cracked while moving and that was that.

Are these fish okay for a 20 gallon?
1 Coral beauty angelfish (bought as baby)
2 regular clownfish (smaller ones)
1 damsel or (not and) cardinal
2 hermit crabs
1 shrimp.

The tank is long and I have no issue doing weekly water changes and water chemistry. I, in fact, breed freshwater Cardinia shrimp which is honestly way more about water chemistry than saltwater tanks (without corals lol).

What order would you recommend I add the fish? I know its from least to most aggressive. Also, all fish will be bought as babies/ juveniles. Other than the hermit crabs!!!

I'm already aware of top-ups used RO water to fill tank / DI water etc etc. I've read 3-4 fish for a tank this size and i am keeping it that way. Don't count hermit crabs as they are smaller than an inch or an inch and most of them are a shell

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 will be too small for a Coral beauty, they need space to graze and your clowns will likely establish themselves to a decent chunk of the tank.

I would suggest keeping it at 3 fish for that tank, but if you must add one then a cardinal is a better choice than a damsel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back