Stocking a 40 breeder

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i know another "stocking a tank thread"... But I love input from everyone! So ive just upgraded from a 20l to a 40b. Ive got 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny and a mccoskers flasher. Im really digging the wrasses but am open to other options! Also I have about 70 pounds of rock in sump/dt combined and about 70 gallons of water volume. My skimmer is also good for. Like 250 gallon tank. Would need to be be reef safe.

Thanks everyone!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of cromis shipping with disease these days and only one Chromis for a 40 breeder. @ the OP, unfortunately I think 1 wrasse is the limit on that 40 breeder unless you want to try a Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse. A Hawkfish could work (ie Geometric Pygmy).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasses are great. Flame or longnose hawks are super personable. Royal grammas are bright and classic. Yellow assessors are interesting.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think the pink streaked would be to timid for the clown pair? I actually sumped the female clown for a few days when I got the blenny as they would go at it for hours. The clowns had the tank all to themselves for like 4 months. (They were given to me from someone quitting the hobby) or else they would have been added last.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think the pink streaked would be to timid for the clown pair? I actually sumped the female clown for a few days when I got the blenny as they would go at it for hours. The clowns had the tank all to themselves for like 4 months. (They were given to me from someone quitting the hobby) or else they would have been added last.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend more timid fish with an assertive clownfish. Possibly Royal Gramma and Definitely a Black Cap Basslet could hold it's own against an assertive clown though.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak wrasses are pretty demure. Since they aren't so assertive they usually fly under the radar of clowns.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back