Stocking a 60 cube. Is it too much?

Moraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 60 gallon cube mixed reef set up for about 14 months. I currently have two clowns, royal gramma, six line and a coral beauty along with a relatively small cuc.
I just ordered a Midas blenny (I haven’t had much luck with in the past) and a blue spotted Toby puffer, do you think this is too much?

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, stocking is more about habitats than true stocking. I don't see anything wrong with this stocking. The six line could become VERY territorial, so watch out for that. With the Midas, make sure you have a lid. You could easily add a few more fish/critters. I would do a pistol shrimp/goby pair because you don't have anything in the sand bed. You could get a sand sifting sea star. The puffer could be hard with inverts so keep him well fed. You could also do a fire fish, a fairy wrasse and a flasher wrasse.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Moraal

Moraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, stocking is more about habitats than true stocking. I don't see anything wrong with this stocking. The six line could become VERY territorial, so watch out for that. With the Midas, make sure you have a lid. You could easily add a few more fish/critters. I would do a pistol shrimp/goby pair because you don't have anything in the sand bed. You could get a sand sifting sea star. The puffer could be hard with inverts so keep him well fed. You could also do a fire fish, a fairy wrasse and a flasher wrasse.

Happy reefing!
I actually have a pistol shrimp who I am trying to evict. He killed his goby friend and possibly the second Midas blenny I had. (First one jumped and I now have a lid). I also have a sand sifting star. I didn’t thing wrasses did well with eachother?

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. The pistol shrimp are fairy easy going and very unlikely to kill fish/inverts... unless you got the big pistol shrimp. Wrasses tend to be fairly friendly with each other especially if you get different types. I would be happy to help you select wrasses that would get along. The six line tend to be little jerks, so he could be an issue.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your sixline is anything like mine, it will not tolerate any other wrasses getting added to the tank. The list you have should be fine, just be careful with the puffer. I had one a couple years ago and he started eating lps, even with him being well fed.

OP
OP
Moraal

Moraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding a new rock in to form another arch and to mess with the current inhabitants right before the new additions. I feel the Midas blenny can hold its own if need be but I’m a bit worried about the slow moving puffer. And also a bit worried about my cleaner shrimp.
If your sixline is anything like mine, it will not tolerate any other wrasses getting added to the tank. The list you have should be fine, just be careful with the puffer. I had one a couple years ago and he started eating lps, even with him being well fed.
what kind of puffer did you have? I don’t mind him eating snails and stuff but hopefully not my LPS.
Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. The pistol shrimp are fairy easy going and very unlikely to kill fish/inverts... unless you got the big pistol shrimp. Wrasses tend to be fairly friendly with each other especially if you get different types. I would be happy to help you select wrasses that would get along. The six line tend to be little jerks, so he could be an issue.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding a new rock in to form another arch and to mess with the current inhabitants right before the new additions. I feel the Midas blenny can hold its own if need be but I’m a bit worried about the slow moving puffer. And also a bit worried about my cleaner shrimp.

what kind of puffer did you have? I don’t mind him eating snails and stuff but hopefully not my LPS.

I had a blue-spotted puffer. He took a liking to one of my welsos and I was not happy about it.

OP
OP
Moraal

Moraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a blue-spotted puffer. He took a liking to one of my welsos and I was not happy about it.
Oh noooooo. I’ve been in the market for one.

Back