Stocking dilemma

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g newly set up tank. It's been up and running for about 2 months now. Everything is good. Params are good, lighting is good, equipment is good. (Check build thread for details)
This is an upgrade from my 110g tank that was 5 years old.

I have fish from my old tank in 2 holding tanks while I got the 180g ready. I have some legit problems though.

In a 40breeder I have...
One 7 to 8 inch V. Lionfish
One 4 to 5 inch Maroon Clownfish
One 3 to 4 inch 3 Stripe Damsel
One 2 inch 3 Stripe Damsel

In a 20G long I have...
One 3 inch Cinnamon Clownfish
One 3 inch Scopia Tang
One 4 inch Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse
One 2 to 3 inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse

In the 180g Display I have...
One 2 inch Yellowtail Damsel
One 1.5 inch Blue Fin Damsel
One 5 inch Yellow Tang
One 4 inch Sailfin Tang
One 5.5 inch Bicolor Foxface
Two 3 inch Cleaner Shrimp

In the old 110g, I thought the Maroon clownfish had killed the Cinnamon clownfish like 5 years ago. Come to find out, he had jumped into the overflow and lived there for 5 years.

The two wrasses were purchased about a month or so ago. They are supposed to go into the 180g when it's ready. (It's ready)

The two damsels in the display were purchased to keep the cycle going. I did not want to continue adding ammonia to a cycled tank.
The Yellow tang was a rescue from Petco. He was not doing well in their tank and I got him for 50% off. I figured I could use him for algae control.
Foxface and Sailfin were the same deal. All 3 seem to be doing very well.

Here are the Dilemmas.
Cinnamon clownfish with Maroon Clownfish...
Can I put the Cinnamon Clownfish in the 180 first to get acclimated and stake out his territory then add the Maroon Clownfish later?

Scopia Tang with Yellow and Sailfin...
I should be able to add him with the much larger tangs. Right?

V. Lionfish with 2inch Yellowtail Damsel, 1.5inch Bluefin Damsel, 2.5inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse, 2 Cleaner Shrimp...
If the Lion goes in LAST, will he be cool with the smaller fish and NOT eat them? He has not eaten the 3 Stripe Damsels in the past 3 years I've had him and they have shared a SMALL 40B tank for the past year.

This has been a LONG post but I wanted to be accurate.
Thanks in advance for your help, guidance and advice.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I think you will have to make some decisions. If you want to keep your lion, then shrimp, small damsels, etc aren't a good idea. Tangs are okay. I would pick between your clowns too.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick between the clowns. They will not get along no matter how you add them. I have a 7ft 210g and have tried many ways to keep different species clown and always end up having to separate them before oneis killed.
I would say with the quantity of damsels, you should be okay as they are territorial, but with so many to fend off, they will not pick on one (usually - as I have not kept the specific damsels you have).
I would think the Tangs would be okay.
Lionfish is the only one I would say you will have issues with in the long run. He will eat others. Just time.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is real tough!

I love my Lionfish. He's beautiful and he acts like a pet dog.
He greets me when he sees me. He has loads of personality and let's me know if he's happy or sad or whatever. I've had him since 2015 or 2016.

My Maroon Cownfish is a monster but I love her. I've had her since 2014 along with the 3 stripe Damsels.
The larger one is a PITA! She attacks anything coming into her territory. Even attacks the mag float. She HATES the mag float! Don't know how that will be in a new 180g tank though. I can't predict how she will act.
The smaller one has never been a problem.

The Cinnamon Clownfish is a super trooper! 5 years locked up in a wier. I had no idea it was even alive.

How can I choose some over others?
This really sucks!

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you. It is hard. If the maroon and damsels are big and tough enough, you can have them with the lion. Just expect the possibility of being eaten. Life on the reef. You can always try and see what happens. Just be prepared to get something out if in danger. :) Good luck!!!!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you. It is hard. If the maroon and damsels are big and tough enough, you can have them with the lion. Just expect the possibility of being eaten. Life on the reef. You can always try and see what happens. Just be prepared to get something out if in danger. :) Good luck!!!!

The Lionfish, Maroon Clownfish and the two 3 Stripe Damsels have been together for the past 5 years.
The 4 of them have shared a 40g breeder for the past year.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back