Stocking Help

BlackEyeDye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I upgraded from a 125 gal to a custom 300 gal FOWLR. Sadly, none of my fish made the transfer, including my 12” lion . I’ve had time to grieve, and allowed my tank to be fallow for 5 months. I’ve added a mandarin goby and he’s been loving life for a month, but it’s time for some roommates.

First question, is my list too large for a 300 gal? After about 200-250 lbs of rock and sand, I guesstimate about 240gal of actual water.

Secondly, looking for opinions and advice for stocking. My plan is below, in order of stocking groupings, first to last, with a month or so between groups. * fish are ones that I absolutely want to get.

Porcupine puffer
Blue spot puffer
*Cow fish
Springeri damsel

Raccoon butterfly
*Powder blue tang
*Achilles tang

*emperor Angel
Anularis Angel
Flame angel

*Clown trigger
Picasso trigger

I know many of these guys are quite large, and produce a lot of waste. I just don’t want to overstock like some tanks I see. And yes, I know the clown trigger is the worst when it comes to tank mates. Hahaha. If you got this far, thanks in advance! Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. Sorry about the old fish. May I ask why they didn't survive? Just the stress of the move? Was it combined without another breakout of disease?

OP
OP
BlackEyeDye

BlackEyeDye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. Sorry about the old fish. May I ask why they didn't survive? Just the stress of the move? Was it combined without another breakout of disease?
Some disease wreaked havoc. I couldn’t figure it out. Treated for internal parasites, flukes, ich. Had it subdued for a few months, but they were still flashing. After I tried treating with Ich-X as a last resort, they died within 3-4 days of completing the treatment. Was odd. They all died within a few days of each other. Didn’t make sense from a tank transfer. The only thing I added new, which I now regret, was I replaced the old sand with Carib Sea live sand. Was an awful experience.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for the cow fish! sadly my FOWLR is only be 200 gal. boo

looks like a fun fish list for sure. I dont know much about the trigger tho as there not my type ha
what are them dims. of your 300? 96x30x25?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I upgraded from a 125 gal to a custom 300 gal FOWLR. Sadly, none of my fish made the transfer, including my 12” lion . I’ve had time to grieve, and allowed my tank to be fallow for 5 months. I’ve added a mandarin goby and he’s been loving life for a month, but it’s time for some roommates.

First question, is my list too large for a 300 gal? After about 200-250 lbs of rock and sand, I guesstimate about 240gal of actual water.

Secondly, looking for opinions and advice for stocking. My plan is below, in order of stocking groupings, first to last, with a month or so between groups. * fish are ones that I absolutely want to get.

Porcupine puffer
Blue spot puffer
*Cow fish
Springeri damsel

Raccoon butterfly
*Powder blue tang
*Achilles tang

*emperor Angel
Anularis Angel
Flame angel

*Clown trigger
Picasso trigger

I know many of these guys are quite large, and produce a lot of waste. I just don’t want to overstock like some tanks I see. And yes, I know the clown trigger is the worst when it comes to tank mates. Hahaha. If you got this far, thanks in advance! Look forward to hearing what you guys think.
I think it looks good! The achilles and PBT might cause issues, but your tank is massive so maybe not for you, based on what I know from researching the two (could only have one in my tank as its a 125) I picked blue but Ive been told that they have a better chance if added together like most tangs!! Achilles is beautiful but I know not right for my tank but yours… go for it! I dont think you have too many fish. With the clown trigger add a baby! Mine was super chill (still a baby) when the tank crashed but it might have a better chance of not going on a murder spree everyone talks about! And plus baby clown triggers are cute! Sorry about your loss, just lost all my fish too

OP
OP
BlackEyeDye

BlackEyeDye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for the cow fish! sadly my FOWLR is only be 200 gal. boo

looks like a fun fish list for sure. I dont know much about the trigger tho as there not my type ha
what are them dims. of your 300? 96x30x25?
Correct on the dimensions. Had it custom made since I couldn’t find a tank stock bigger than 210.

OP
OP
BlackEyeDye

BlackEyeDye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks good! The achilles and PBT might cause issues, but your tank is massive so maybe not for you, based on what I know from researching the two (could only have one in my tank as its a 125) I picked blue but Ive been told that they have a better chance if added together like most tangs!! Achilles is beautiful but I know not right for my tank but yours… go for it! I dont think you have too many fish. With the clown trigger add a baby! Mine was super chill (still a baby) when the tank crashed but it might have a better chance of not going on a murder spree everyone talks about! And plus baby clown triggers are cute! Sorry about your loss, just lost all my fish too
Thanks for the response. Definitely plan on a juvenile clown trigger and adding him last. Hopefully that will keep him at bay.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Definitely plan on a juvenile clown trigger and asking him last. Hopefully that will keep him at bay.
I never got to find out cause mine died in the tank crash unfortunately

MotoJJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Porcupine puffer
Blue spot puffer
*Cow fish
Springeri damsel

Raccoon butterfly
*Powder blue tang
*Achilles tang

*emperor Angel
Anularis Angel
Flame angel

*Clown trigger
Picasso trigger

FWIW my Clown Trigger is an ideal tankmate. Is never aggressive with other fish, unless he is getting harassed by my large Angel, I have even seen him cutting off the Angel when he is harassing other fish. I'd put the emperor in last

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my Clown Trigger is an ideal tankmate. Is never aggressive with other fish, unless he is getting harassed by my large Angel, I have even seen him cutting off the Angel when he is harassing other fish. I'd put the emperor in last
Agreed! My queen and emperor angels are far more aggressive than my clown trigger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back