0   0   0
Flame angel less apt to annoy coral
tomini tang

Foxface great at algae control

Wrasse:
yellow coris
flasher
solinara
You’re saying to get a tomini tang instead of a bristletooth tang? And thanks for the info on the other fish! I’ll look into getting those wrasses

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You’re saying to get a tomini tang instead of a bristletooth tang? And thanks for the info on the other fish! I’ll look into getting those wrasses
Tomini peaceful and will not get large and along with bristletooth. Place tomini first if you go that route

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I could add a royal gramma and wrasse at the same time and qt them together? The qt tank is a 15g but not sure if they would get aggressive towards each other and also not sure how aggressive wrasses are
You can do the gramma and a wrasse at the same time if you want.

If you plan on keeping more then one wrasse in the tank you should try and add them together if possible, but wrasses in the Halichoeres Genus are generally more peaceful. Just be careful and don’t accidentally get yourself a Six Line Wrasse. They’re eye catching but some become real ******s.

Tomini Tangs are a type of Bristletooth. The ones that stay on the smaller side are the Tomini Tang, Kole Tang, Two Spot Tang, White Tail Tang and the Square Tail Tang. Prices on them vary quiet a bit.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you plan on keeping more then one wrasse in the tank you should try and add them together if possible, but wrasses in the Halichoeres Genus are generally more peaceful. Just be careful and don’t accidentally get yourself a Six Line Wrasse. They’re eye catching but some become real ******s.

Tomini Tangs are a type of Bristletooth. The ones that stay on the smaller side are the Tomini Tang, Kole Tang, Two Spot Tang, White Tail Tang and the Square Tail Tang. Prices on them vary quiet a bit.
Actually, wrasses in the genus Halichoeres are just as varied in aggression levels as the other genera are. I have found Cirrhilabrus is the easiest to mix as we have recommended guidelines (Obviously some can go all wacky like me and completely cross those guidelines). Not only that but they’re not too boisterous. Paracheilinus and Macropharyngodon are the most peaceful though as they won’t be aggressive to many and will most likely remain at the bottom of the wrasse hierarchy whereas Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Coris ect will be further up.

For example this is my dream mix of wrasses:

Paracheilinus attenuatus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki x2 (If I find both variants when I start to try build up this list)
Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
Cirrhilabrus earlei
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Macropharyngodon choati
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Anampses femininus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres rubricephalus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Pseudojuloides atavai x2

Obviously I don’t have these all, I think I only have 4 of them currently.

This dream stocking list would most likely work out as they all are for the most part peaceful.

In terms of the Sixline, that whole genus of Pseudocheilinus is known for being bad. Personally I have had 4, 2 in a 3’ tank, and 2 in a 30g. None of them ever went rogue but that may be due to me having a much more aggressive fish in with them (Neoglyphidodon oxydon).

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve heard horror stories about six lines so I want to stay away from them. I was looking and really liked the white tail until I saw the price!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try add the wrasses close together which is why I recommend leaving wrasses till last unless you plan for a larger aggressive tang (Bristletooths are excluded when it comes to this label IMHO).
You can definitely add a wrasse and the Gramma at the same time, if you add a wrasse first make sure it’s one of the more peaceful of the selection you’ll want.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try add the wrasses close together which is why I recommend leaving wrasses till last unless you plan for a larger aggressive tang (Bristletooths are excluded when it comes to this label IMHO).
You can definitely add a wrasse and the Gramma at the same time, if you add a wrasse first make sure it’s one of the more peaceful of the selection you’ll want.
Thank you, I’ll wait and add all the wrasses last.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say to add the royal gramma or the tang next? Or one of the other fish? It would most likely be a bristletooth tang. Not sure how aggressive they are
Royal grammas are known to spend a lot of time in rock work - so you can probably add them anytime. They also like barnacles that are large enough to accommodate them. Mine has "adopted" a powerhead, so he hangs out behind the gyre mount and spends most of the time cruising back and forth at the back of the tank (somewhat atypical behavior).

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas are known to spend a lot of time in rock work - so you can probably add them anytime. They also like barnacles that are large enough to accommodate them. Mine has "adopted" a powerhead, so he hangs out behind the gyre mount and spends most of the time cruising back and forth at the back of the tank (somewhat atypical behavior).
I think I’m going to add that next. Then the wrasses and finally a tomini tang and bristletooth tang last, still not sure if I want both tangs. From what a read if I have to pick it would be the tomini, a lot of people love their colouring. I’ve never kept a tang before so I’m looking forward to it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to add that next. Then the wrasses and finally a tomini tang and bristletooth tang last, still not sure if I want both tangs. From what a read if I have to pick it would be the tomini, a lot of people love their colouring. I’ve never kept a tang before so I’m looking forward to it.
I only have a single sailfin tang. We really like how he expands into a small 'bat' when he gets excited.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small one. I've had mine for 2 years and he's only 4-4.5" (was around 1.5-1.75" when I got him).
My foxface is only about 2.5” and I’m excited to see him grow. Must be pretty neat to watch them grow up

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is only about 2.5” and I’m excited to see him grow. Must be pretty neat to watch them grow up
It's so slow you don't really notice until 6 months later you realize - whoa, where did that fish come from? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so slow you don't really notice until 6 months later you realize - whoa, where did that fish come from? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I’ve had my clowns for about 5 months now, hard to tell if they have grown at all lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back