Stocking help

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4ft long and has a 72 gallon display and 30 gallon sump, I need some help on stocking. my original stocking plan was:
Pair of clowns
One spot foxface
Blue hippo tang
Royal gramma
Coral beauty or flame angel
Wrasse (not sure which one still trying to figure out which one is the most peaceful and will still eat pests)
After doing lots of reading I don’t think I will be able to keep a blue hippo in there forever and it will outgrow the tank which sucks cause I love them but I don’t want to do that to a fish. Any opinions from anybody if this is true or if it will be ok? Also if I can’t keep a blue hippo what other tang would you suggest? In the tank now I have the 2 clowns and the foxface, which fish should I I get next? I was thinking the tang but I am not sure as I’m still pretty new to the hobby. Also I don’t think I’m going to get any kind of angel because I read that they can be nip coral and be very aggressive and I would rather not risk the coral so what would you replace that with? I want active colourful fish that I can watch all day.
thanks in advance!

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hippo tang would get too big for a 70g tank.
if you want a tang you could go with a bristletooth - I’d recommend a tomini.

As far as dwarf angels they’re always a risk with corals, but if they’re well fed and you have good algae growth it would minimize nipping. The captive bred ones also are a little less likely to eat corals (but again it’s always a possibility)

For some color/movement you definitely want to get some wrasses. Any of the Halecoris are good options, and also fairy/flasher wrasses. A carpenter flasher wrasse would be a great eye catching addition.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4ft long and has a 72 gallon display and 30 gallon sump, I need some help on stocking. my original stocking plan was:
Pair of clowns
One spot foxface
Blue hippo tang
Royal gramma
Coral beauty or flame angel
Wrasse (not sure which one still trying to figure out which one is the most peaceful and will still eat pests)
After doing lots of reading I don’t think I will be able to keep a blue hippo in there forever and it will outgrow the tank which sucks cause I love them but I don’t want to do that to a fish. Any opinions from anybody if this is true or if it will be ok? Also if I can’t keep a blue hippo what other tang would you suggest? In the tank now I have the 2 clowns and the foxface, which fish should I I get next? I was thinking the tang but I am not sure as I’m still pretty new to the hobby. Also I don’t think I’m going to get any kind of angel because I read that they can be nip coral and be very aggressive and I would rather not risk the coral so what would you replace that with? I want active colourful fish that I can watch all day.
thanks in advance!
Here’s what I’d recommend:

Tang - Ctenochaetus, preferably one of the smaller species such as Ctenochaetus binotatus, Ctenochaetus flavicauda, Ctenochaetus tominiensis, Ctenochaetus trunctatus.

Foxface - Will most likely be able to last long term in a 4’ tank as they grow at a moderate pace and don’t swim too much. Stick with the smaller species such as Siganus magnificus and Siganus unimaculatus just in case.

Wrasses (Personally I’d go for Atleast 3 if not more) - Make a list and then you may DM me and we can sort through them in terms of aggression if you would like. Recommendations on what genera to look into: Cirrhilabrus (Planktonic) Paracheilinus (Planktonic), Halichoeres (Pest Hunter), Macropharyngodon (Hunter), Anampses (Hunter), Pseudojuloides (Hunter), Xenojulis (Hunter).

Angel - I’d recommend going a bit larger than a Centropyge but what is still seen as a small Angel and actually go through the genus Genicanthus as they’re some of the most beautiful species and most reef safe species. Also maybe take a look through Chaetodontoplus. However if you definitely want a Centropyge, go for the Coral Beauty as the wrasses will mainly add reds, greens, yellows, whites, pinks and very few add a nice blue.

Clowns - I’d recommend going occelaris or percula as they’re the most peaceful and won’t stress the wrasses too much.

And then top it off with a gramma.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hippo tang would get too big for a 70g tank.
if you want a tang you could go with a bristletooth - I’d recommend a tomini.

As far as dwarf angels they’re always a risk with corals, but if they’re well fed and you have good algae growth it would minimize nipping. The captive bred ones also are a little less likely to eat corals (but again it’s always a possibility)

For some color/movement you definitely want to get some wrasses. Any of the Halecoris are good options, and also fairy/flasher wrasses. A carpenter flasher wrasse would be a great eye catching addition.
Thank you, that’s not what I wanted to hear about the hippo lol but I knew it was coming. I’m going to skip on the dwarf angels just because like you said it’s always a risk and my coral is the main reason I love this hobby so much. I’ll take a look at the wrasses. Thank you again for all the info

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tang - Ctenochaetus, preferably one of the smaller species such as Ctenochaetus binotatus, Ctenochaetus flavicauda, Ctenochaetus tominiensis, Ctenochaetus trunctatus.

Foxface - Will most likely be able to last long term in a 4’ tank as they grow at a moderate pace and don’t swim too much. Stick with the smaller species such as Siganus magnificus and Siganus unimaculatus just in case.

Wrasses (Personally I’d go for Atleast 3 if not more) - Make a list and then you may DM me and we can sort through them in terms of aggression if you would like. Recommendations on what genera to look into: Cirrhilabrus (Planktonic) Paracheilinus (Planktonic), Halichoeres (Pest Hunter), Macropharyngodon (Hunter), Anampses (Hunter), Pseudojuloides (Hunter), Xenojulis (Hunter).

Angel - I’d recommend going a bit larger than a Centropyge but what is still seen as a small Angel and actually go through the genus Genicanthus as they’re some of the most beautiful species and most reef safe species. Also maybe take a look through Chaetodontoplus. However if you definitely want a Centropyge, go for the Coral Beauty as the wrasses will mainly add reds, greens, yellows, whites, pinks and very few add a nice blue.

Clowns - I’d recommend going occelaris or percula as they’re the most peaceful and won’t stress the wrasses too much.

Wow thank you so much! This helps a ton and I will dm you for sure. What fish should I add next? Reason is I’m going out of town this weekend and I’m going to the lfs store down there, ordered online from them lots and always had great service, my lfs store isn’t the best at all. I will pass on the angel because it’s not worth the risk for me. But seriously thank you for all this, it’s much appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that’s not what I wanted to hear about the hippo lol but I knew it was coming. I’m going to skip on the dwarf angels just because like you said it’s always a risk and my coral is the main reason I love this hobby so much. I’ll take a look at the wrasses. Thank you again for all the info
My coral beauty has been great with all my corals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you so much! This helps a ton and I will dm you for sure. What fish should I add next? Reason is I’m going out of town this weekend and I’m going to the lfs store down there, ordered online from them lots and always had great service, my lfs store isn’t the best at all. I will pass on the angel because it’s not worth the risk for me. But seriously thank you for all this, it’s much appreciated.
Personally I’d add the Gramma or clowns next then leave the wrasses till last as it will be a hard decision haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re making me second guess myself lol
I have a midnight dwarf angel. He likes acans. I've got something like 40 fish right now with about a half dozen potentially not "reef safe", but thus far only the midnight goes after acans.

Keeping them well-fed (seaweed in particular) also helps to keep them out of trouble.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a midnight dwarf angel. He likes acans. I've got something like 40 fish right now with about a half dozen potentially not "reef safe", but thus far only the midnight goes after acans.

Keeping them well-fed (seaweed in particular) also helps to keep them out of trouble.
I don’t have any acans and don’t plan to get any. I have lots of euphyllia and a few softies

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any acans and don’t plan to get any. I have lots of euphyllia and a few softies
Emphasis should be on "mine" likes acans (YMMV). It took me 6 months to figure out why my acans kept dying...

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re making me second guess myself lol
I have a cherub angel in a 55g (it's about full grown at 3" and I've had it for 3-4 years at this point.) I never added coral because I was really nervous about the Cherub nipping BUT over the last 2 weeks I added a large GSP Colony and a Hammer frag. Angel hasn't touched either of them once!

It really depends on the fish, but some LFS' will keep some angels in frag tanks to get them used to being around coral. If any of your stores do this you can easily see if that specific angel has been nipping.

Again, if you keep them fat and happy they shouldn't mess with the corals. If you do get an angel you should add it last as it can quickly become territorial.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Came to offer suggestions but I couldn't say it any better than this. I agree with all of it.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cherub angel in a 55g (it's about full grown at 3" and I've had it for 3-4 years at this point.) I never added coral because I was really nervous about the Cherub nipping BUT over the last 2 weeks I added a large GSP Colony and a Hammer frag. Angel hasn't touched either of them once!

It really depends on the fish, but some LFS' will keep some angels in frag tanks to get them used to being around coral. If any of your stores do this you can easily see if that specific angel has been nipping.

Again, if you keep them fat and happy they shouldn't mess with the corals. If you do get an angel you should add it last as it can quickly become territorial.
Thank you for this info, it helps me out.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emphasis should be on "mine" likes acans (YMMV). It took me 6 months to figure out why my acans kept dying...
Would you say to add the royal gramma or the tang next? Or one of the other fish? It would most likely be a bristletooth tang. Not sure how aggressive they are

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say to add the royal gramma or the tang next? Or one of the other fish? It would most likely be a bristletooth tang. Not sure how aggressive they are
I'd say start with the Royal Gramma - you shouldn't see any issues from them.

The bristletooths (and all tangs) can get territorial, but generally shouldn't give you too many problems, but if you decide you want to add a larger fish with similar body shape later on they might bully them a little bit. I have a Tomini and I haven't seen any aggression out of him. Just goes about his business nipping algae off the rocks/glass all day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The bristletooths (and all tangs) can get territorial, but generally shouldn't give you too many problems, but if you decide you want to add a larger fish with similar body shape later on they might bully them a little bit. I have a Tomini and I haven't seen any aggression out of him. Just goes about his business nipping algae off the rocks/glass all day.
I too haven’t seen any aggression from my Ctenochaetus tang (C. binotatus). I have a Genicanthus Angel and Magnificent Foxface, they may bicker every so often but the initial aggression upon introduction was nothing.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think I could add a royal gramma and wrasse at the same time and qt them together? The qt tank is a 15g but not sure if they would get aggressive towards each other and also not sure how aggressive wrasses are

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flame angel less apt to annoy coral
tomini tang

Foxface great at algae control

Wrasse:
yellow coris
flasher
solinara

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back