BRS

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I currently have a Juwel Rio 240 litre (64 US gallon) tank measuring 120cm wide x 41cm deep x 55cm tall (47" x 16" x 22") which is home to my peacock mantis shrimp. I'm gearing up to move the mantis shrimp into a smaller tank so that I can make the bigger tank into a mixed reef tank I'm setting up a quarantine tank so that I can start quarantining my first fish for the big tank whilst I cycle the mantis shrimp's new home.

For the 240 litre tank I'm aiming for mostly only easy or semi-easy species because I'm still quite new to the hobby. I intend to have corals, but probably only softies for now because I don't have powerful enough lighting or sufficient experience for more difficult corals. I've got a preliminary stocking list, and I'd be grateful for opinions on it:

Fish
  • 2x Ocellaris clownfish(this is non-negotiable, they're my favourite fish by far)
  • 1x Royal gramma
  • 1x Yellow watchman goby + Randall's pistol shrimp
  • 1x Banggai cardinalfish
  • 1x Dwarf angelfish (order of preference: flame, lemonpeel)
  • 1x Tang or Rabbitfish (order of preference: plain yellow foxface, kole tang, tomini tang)
  • 1x Hawkfish (order of preference: flame, longnose)
  • 1x flasher wrasse (order of preference: McCosker's, Royal, Yellowfin)
  • 1x other wrasse (order of preference: christmas, melanurus, yellow coris)
  • 1x Orchid dottyback
  • 1x other goby (order of preference: diamond, wheeler's, tiger watchman, neon)
Inverts
  • Pom pom crab
  • Halloween hermit crab
  • Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
  • Emerald crab
  • Porcelain crab
  • Blue leg hermit crab
  • Blood red fire shrimp
  • Some snails (don't really care which)
I realise the list is too long and I can't have everything on it, so part of the purpose of this thread is to help narrow it down a bit. I've listed them in rough order of preference. The tank is borderline too small for even the smallest bristletooth tangs so if I get one I'm prepared to rehome it (or upgrade the tank) if it shows signs of having outgrown the tank. I desperately want a foxface rabbitfish but I fear that one might outgrow the tank very quickly. Not sure if I'll get away with two wrasses sharing a tank of this size? Also not sure if banggai cardinals are better in pairs? Aside from the clowns I really don't want more than one of anything apart from maybe inverts, unless it's necessary. The only invert I feel strongly about is the pom pom crab (I love those little guys!)

Also order of introduction tips would be appreciated - I'll be going pretty slowly as I only have a 52 litre quarantine tank.

Join the movement!

killer2001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'd say no to the tang, foxface, dottyback, and angel maybe get a lawnmower blenny instead for algae eating / herbivore. I have a no crab policy for my tank except the pom pom, that little guy is hilarious. Mine walks around the tank like he owns the place with his little anemones!

OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The lawnmower was actually on my list, I just forgot to write it down. I really don't want to end up with all small fish in there and nothing of any substance. I'm know the tank is on the small side for things like tangs and angels, but the tank recommendations for the flame angel range from 30g to 70g. You really think I can't get away with even one half decent sized fish? Even if I forego two or three of the smaller ones?

Tidal Gardens
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
BRS

Are you ready for giant clams in your tank?

• I currently keep a giant clam in my aquarium

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • I have kept giant clams in the past, but don’t have any now

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I am interested, but I haven’t kept giant clams yet

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • I have no plans to keep giant clams

Votes: 40 25.6%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM