Stocking List, Compatibility & Order for ~60G Cube Tank

Luce.and.Fur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was hoping to get some ideas, opinions and general comments on livestock for a 225L/approx 60US gallon tank I will be setting up next year. I currently have an empty 60L/15G tank and also a 54L/14G QT. My plan is to set up the QT and 60L now, start stocking (once fully cycled) with a couple of fish, then next year/whenever I have the larger tank I will transfer the current livestock to the new tank and gradually add more (not sure exactly when I'll be able to afford it!). I do want to keep some corals and inverts in there too, though no definite choices yet so can be flexible.

Ideas for Stocking List (a selection of the below, not all):
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish, probably Black, Mocha, Misbar or a mixed pair.
Green Chromis - not sure how many, what is the minimum quantity recommended for these guys, as I have found various numbers online?
1 x Chalk Basslet or Royal Gramma Basslet - I am leaning more towards the Chalk as I love the look of them.
1 x Anthias - not sure which one, they all look very nice; any suggestions?
1 x Fairy Wrasse and/or Flasher Wrasse - not sure which again, as long as it fits the peaceful, generally reef-safe and size boxes. I was thinking possibly C. lubbocki, C. rubriventralis, C. aurantidorsalis (may need a larger tank?), P. carpenteri or P. mccoskeri. Suggestions on which one or for a couple of types?
1 x Firefish Goby
Bangaii Cardinals - as with the Chromis, what is the minimum quantity recommended in a group from your experience?
1 x Red/Pink Scooter Dragonet
1 x Sandhopper Blenny? - only come across this recently but looks like a nice fish.

Any thoughts on which of the above would be better/worse candidates? Any other/alternative suggestions? What is the maximum number of these I should look to add over time, and in any specific order?
To start off in the 60L I would love either the Basslet, Anthias or Wrasse, with maybe the Firefish too - any comments or suggestions based on this?

Thank in advance for the assistance!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't put several of those in small 15g/14g tanks for long. ime wrasses don't like being in small tanks, they act all pouty and just hide and the likelihood of them crashing into something is much higher. dragonets need established larger tanks too

OP
OP
Luce.and.Fur

Luce.and.Fur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't put several of those in small 15g/14g tanks for long. ime wrasses don't like being in small tanks, they act all pouty and just hide and the likelihood of them crashing into something is much higher. dragonets need established larger tanks too
Ok thanks - they will have to wait until I have the larger tank then.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cubes don't have as much swimming or sand space as standard rectangular tanks. I agree on avoiding the wrasse, and I worry about the blenny.

Also, with just 1 of every fish you listed, you would be around the 1/5 limit.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cubes can be challenging to stock due to the lack of swimming space. I'd suggest that you revise that list based on what area these fish normally claim as their territory. For instance, a pair of clowns can be aggressive, but this could be reduced by giving them an anemone/coral to claim. Your basslet will be fine in a 15G and probably seek out caves. Smaller anthias (like resplendent) can be housed in a tank <75G, but you'll want a lot of flow for them to swim against. I'd stay away from the chromis. The wrasse is a no--they need a lot more space.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back