Stocking list for 225 gallon reef?

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am setting up a 225 gallon reef tank and was wanting some ideas on what I could potentially stock it with. I have a small tank with a pair of clownfish and a yellow watchman, but I'm not too familiar with saltwaterfish. These fish will be moved to the big tank and I want to center the stocking around smaller fish. I am fine with bigger fish if there are any that get along with smaller reef fish. Any ideas on what to stock this with?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same size as my own tank - I've got a pair of percula, pairs and a trio of a few types of Chrysiptera damselfish, groups of gobies would be wonderful as well - perhaps a mate for your watchman, and a pistol shrimp to go with? You might consider an algae blenny (starry, tailspot, lawnmower, linear), and a midas blenny as well.

Flasher wrasses would fit well, with a well-fitting cover on the tank!

You might also consider something like a trio of small Centropyge angelfish - get them small, and let them work out a harem setup for themselves. I've also got a pair of royal gramma, which are bright enough to be seen across the room, and generally hang out together.

You've got plenty of options, and there's much to be said for smaller fish with plenty of room to stretch their fins!

~B.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back