Stocking List for 6’ tank

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 6’ tank (180g display, 225g total system). Will be an HNSA with a lot of caves, overhangs, swim-throughs. Mixed reef, SPS heavy long term. Plan to be heavy feeding, heavy export.

Once cycled and established I’ll be moving the following fish from my 65 to the big tank:

Falco hawk
Pink Pygmy wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Royal gramma
Yellow assessor basslet
White tail bristletooth tang

Then, over time, I’m planning on adding the following:

Pair of clowns (after cycle to be sure it’s fully cycled)
Blonde naso tang
Blue hippo tang
Gem tang
Regal Angel
Gold flake angel
Golden Cuban basslet
Copper band butterfly
Midas blenny

Am I good? Too many fish (16 total)? Any suggestions/advice/opinions welcome.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 6’ tank (180g display, 225g total system). Will be an HNSA with a lot of caves, overhangs, swim-throughs. Mixed reef, SPS heavy long term. Plan to be heavy feeding, heavy export.

Once cycled and established I’ll be moving the following fish from my 65 to the big tank:

Falco hawk
Pink Pygmy wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Royal gramma
Yellow assessor basslet
White tail bristletooth tang

Then, over time, I’m planning on adding the following:

Pair of clowns (after cycle to be sure it’s fully cycled)
Blonde naso tang
Blue hippo tang
Gem tang
Regal Angel
Gold flake angel
Golden Cuban basslet
Copper band butterfly
Midas blenny

Am I good? Too many fish (16 total)? Any suggestions/advice/opinions welcome.
With that many territory needing fish, lean heavily on the H of that HNSA..

Be prepared for the WT to be a jerk to newcomers.

That doesn't read as to heavy bioload as long as you're planning on it from the start.

My 180 has quite a bit more fish.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many territory needing fish, lean heavily on the H of that HNSA..

Be prepared for the WT to be a jerk to newcomers.

That doesn't read as to heavy bioload as long as you're planning on it from the start.

My 180 has quite a bit more fish.
It’s definitely going to be more H than NSA, in large part to accommodate the fish I’m after

As for the WT, I’m thinking about adding the additional three Tangs at the same time as the last three fish. Thinking the WT is less likely to be jerky if he gets THREE new buddies.

FWIW, I’ve added fish to my 65 since getting the WT and other than some minor chasing he’s been a model citizen so far. Hoping the bigger tank only makes him even more welcoming

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus are MUCH more peaceful than people make them to be. Sure the larger species (Chevron and Striatus) won’t be as peaceful but the small species are.
I wouldnt add any more tangs… I just think they can be too much of a pacing fish to enjoy in many cases. You’ve got a lot of medium-large fish that IMHO will look out of place in a matter of time. Stick to the small to medium sized fish and try avoid any larger fish unless you absolutely MUST have it. That’s what I’d do if you want a natural reef look and not an out of place fish.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus are MUCH more peaceful than people make them to be. Sure the larger species (Chevron and Striatus) won’t be as peaceful but the small species are.
I wouldnt add any more tangs… I just think they can be too much of a pacing fish to enjoy in many cases. You’ve got a lot of medium-large fish that IMHO will look out of place in a matter of time. Stick to the small to medium sized fish and try avoid any larger fish unless you absolutely MUST have it. That’s what I’d do if you want a natural reef look and not an out of place fish.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting no more Tangs at all (beyond the white tail bristle tooth)? Or no more Tangs after the 3 additional I've added to the list?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Slightly off topic but, do you know of any places that regularly has the Yellow Assessors? I'm interested in them too but I've only seen them once or twice on LiveAquaria and Saltwaterfish.
They are very hard to come by. I knew I wanted one so I contacted several of the sites that do full QT sales. Adam Sklar at Ocean Devotion (https://oceandevotionla.com/) finally got one and ran it through a 30-day QT for me. Fish has been rock solid for me. I've had him a little over a year.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very hard to come by. I knew I wanted one so I contacted several of the sites that do full QT sales. Adam Sklar at Ocean Devotion (https://oceandevotionla.com/) finally got one and ran it through a 30-day QT for me. Fish has been rock solid for me. I've had him a little over a year.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the info!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A naso very well may be able to live it's whole life in a 180. It also may outgrow it in a number of years, and the right thing would be to move it up into a bigger system.

So many people say "Don't do this" instead of "if you do this, here's what you can expect".

I have a blonde naso, 4-4.5" in a 180 and it's got plenty of room, and Time left in that tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them in 6-foot tanks before. Can you help me understand why you'd highly encourage against it? I'm definitely open to input here.
Their size is far too big, try fit an almost 2’ fish in your tank and see how much room it has to turn and swim. They also remain highly active.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting no more Tangs at all (beyond the white tail bristle tooth)? Or no more Tangs after the 3 additional I've added to the list?
i wouldn’t add any more tangs in general unless you absolutely must have one. And that is due to most being big and aggressive whereas Ctenochaetus are calm and not too big. They also pace around the tank a ton which in many cases IMHO does not look as nice as several small fish coexisting and going throughout rock and coral branches.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back